Guess what?

My son FINALLY said mama... the dr had told me he was delayed and wanted speech therapy and physical therapy.. In my opinion my son is fine. he is a little behind but that is to be expected since he was premature. She said he should be saying mama and dada if not more. he says baba, papa, and now mama..

chrstny88

Asked by chrstny88 at 9:07 PM on Apr. 21, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YAY!!! isn't it the best feeling!!!!!! -well, this might sound strange, or different -but my nephew was a late talker so my brother and sister-in-law took him to the best of the best specialist everywhere........and you want to know some advice I'll never forget that they received?......well-to have the child use straws more often and suck on suckers!!!! I guess they help build the muscles in the tongue. well-happy to say that he is now 13 and they wanted to up him to the next grade every year, but my brother and his wife decided against moving him up grades-I would agree. he is soi intelligent and -.....QUITE THE TALKER!!!!! :)
    expresso-time

Answer by expresso-time at 8:28 AM on Apr. 22, 2013

• Sweet. My twins were very late talkers. 2 1/2 before they said their first words. My Dd actually said Hi really clearly at 11 months and once she said Hi at 16 months, but than nothing until about 30 months. I was worried but they're almost 14 now and fine.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• Just think how much more he could be doing with the speech therapy and physical therapy to help him catch up!! Early intervention can help ward off issues later on. Good luck.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• Seriously, they are suggesting speech therapy at 9 months? That is really ridiculous. My son didn't start talking till 18 months. Now he has a vocabulary better than most of the kids in his class. So glad she said mama already! That is so cute!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• Aw, that's sweet when they start saying "mama." I don't know what they'd do in speech therapy at nine months. It seems a bit early. I was a premature baby myself, and my mom said I didn't really catch up with my peers till two or two and a half, but then I had no problem talking after that.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• How wonderful.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• hes only 9 months.. they cant do any more then what im doing lol.. i use to be around when my niece had her therapy so i know what they do. i do all that with him now. I was told premature babies usually catch up around 1 or 1.5. He is catching up fine. He is trying to crawl too
    chrstny88

Comment by chrstny88 (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• My DD was speech delayed. She's 5 now and doesn't shut up... lol
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:20 AM on Apr. 22, 2013