Has anyone been successful with relocating after a divorce with children.

I would like to know what details that I need to get together in order to make this move good for everyone involved.

ohioblessed4

Asked by ohioblessed4 at 10:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2013 in Relationships

• Not really, but I know a few that have been limited in their distance so that the father can have his regular visitation.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• Do you have a CO stating you can or can't move? You will need to get the father's permission before you will be able to go.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• Kmath is right, You need permission from the bio dad in some instances to take a child across state lines. Call your attorney and ask. I relocated with my 3 kids years ago and it was so much less stressful than to stay in the state where their dad was. Of course now that they are grown they moved back up there and left me here! lol

Answer by admckenzie at 4:13 AM on Apr. 22, 2013

• Check this site out and put in your state to see what the state law is regarding taking kids across state lines. http://www.womenslaw.org/laws_state_type.php?statelaw_name=Parental%20Kidnapping&state_code=GE

Answer by admckenzie at 4:14 AM on Apr. 22, 2013

• My husband and I are wanting to move to another county about an hour away from my kids' dad. We have a 50/50 custody. We haven't gone forward with anything yet but we've spoken to a lawyer. The lawyer's advice was to gather as much info as possible to prove that the move would be beneficial to the kids. For example, is the school system better where you are proposing to move, is there family near by, are you moving for a new career, moving closer to work? He also suggested we pick a good pediatrician in our prospective town as well as a church if applicable and check into any activities the kids would be interested in. In my situation I will either need their father's approval and/or a judge's permission. Also in my case, because I don't work outside the home, the kids would spend a lot of time potentially with a sitter than either parent if I move without them. The judge cares about the best interest of the kids.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 5:00 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• Thank you ladies for all your comments. Right at this time, we do not have an attorney. The attorney that I used for my divorce went on to be a judge. We would have to pay another retainer fee and it is something that we don't have right now.
    We are just now beginning the process of the move. I realize that I will have to tell my ex-husband about the move and get his permission. I think that he will give me a hard time because of his SO. Although, he does have them go to his house, he doesn't spend much time with them. Whether it be because he is working or the kids are at someone else's house.
    Right now, my husband works in the area where we would like to move. He goes on Friday and comes back Sunday night/morning sometime. (I dare him to wake me, lol) The wages that my husband is making gets us by, but it could be so much more if we could move to that area.
    We did have a free consultation with an attorney. To be continued.
    ohioblessed4

Comment by ohioblessed4 (original poster) at 9:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• The attorney told us that there is a list of things that the courts look for, but that he would let us know what they are when we come back. I would like to get started with the list now. I want to know what steps someone who has been successful with the move. How do I establish a job, sell our house and buy a new one without knowing when and exactly where?

Any suggestions????

ohioblessed4

Comment by ohioblessed4 (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Apr. 24, 2013