It seems my 3 month old spits up more than normal. What can I do?

My 3 month old spits up alot after every feeding. He is on soy formula for gass and fussiness. I burp him after and sometimes during feedings and he still spits up 5 to 6 times after, and sometimes its clear. Could it be the acid in his stomach? If so what can I do for it?

kingboys3

Asked by kingboys3 at 11:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby was diagnosed with Reflux and dr advised after feedings to have her sit in her carseat or Sassy seat for 30-45 minutes, or at least have her in an upright position until the milk settles. This did help somewhat but She still continued to cry a very very lot and the gas she let off would put a mans to shame lol. I switched her to lactose free formula and it did wonders within the week. She still spits up but it sure is nice to have a baby more happy than miserable.
    Francinab

Answer by Francinab at 1:49 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Well, I'm sure you know that breastfeeding would have most likely eliminated this problem, but since you have already made the switch to formula the very best way to remedy this problem would be to switch formula types and be sure to burp him more often. Try burping him more frequently during the feedings. The cause of the gas and fussiness as you have probably already discovered is not lactose intolerance, because he is still acting up with the soy formula. If you are able to re-lactate, try changing your diet to remedy the gas problem, if you are unable to re-lactate then you should try goats milk, which is a very sound alternative and is very close to human milk, or see if you qualify for donated breast milk, there are many generous women out there who donate healthy breast milk so that women like you can still give your child nature's perfect food. Good luck and happy feedings : )
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• he also may have acid reflux.. is he crying alot when you feed him or when he is laying down?
    Keri77

Answer by Keri77 at 12:19 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Is he gaining weight? Also you might need to try burping him several times during a feeding. My son spit up alot but because he was gaining weight my dr was not concerned. I would talk to the dr if you are truly concerned.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:19 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• You could try new nipples, nipple flow or different bottle. Is he teething? My daughter spit up clear at times when she was teething. Could be congested.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My Big question is. Is it spit up or throw up? If it's more then your would expect in amount you really shoud being it to your doctors attention. It could become seriouse. Not to scare you but I've been there. My son had Pyloric Stenosis. He what I thought was spit up just a lot for a month and was losing weight like crazy and I finally found a doctor who would tell me why, and he had to have surgery. But I do agree you need to talk to your doctor but till then try burping even if it's every oz or every half an oz.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• dont feel bad babies spit up thats why they make burp rags:) and i breast feed and my son did the same thing id burp him and hed spit up feed and burp and spit up. so anyways what i was going to tell ya was to try some cearel! seriously cuz once i started feeding my son the spitting up almost came to complete stop! it was crazy!
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 1:43 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• might be acid reflux
    Anonymous_J

Answer by Anonymous_J at 7:20 AM on Feb. 17, 2009