What really helps ease the teeth cutting pain?

Hey all...My LO is about to hit 8 months in the next couple of days and her first tooth has shown up. I notice at night she gets really fussy and is having trouble falling asleep like she normally would do, so I am wondering is it the tooth that may be causing some discomfort and if so, what really works to help ease it? during the day, she loves her cold teething rings or to have her gums rubbed and in general, the day time isn't a problem. But over the past week, her nighttime routine has been a little out of whack...like by 930 pm she is sound to sleep and completely thru the night until about 730 am ( i am so lucky!) now she will sorta fall asleep and then wakes up and will do this until about 11 or later, just eventually wearing herself out. So, what can I do? Or maybe it could be something else? Is it time for another growth spurt?

newmom1978

Asked by newmom1978 at 7:54 AM on Apr. 22, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try Anbesol Baby OR Baby Orajel to numb the gums. Made especially for teething pain and safe for babies. Orajel has a $1.00 coupon the site I linked, too.

Cool baby teething chart: http://www.anbesol.com/baby/chart

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 8:03 AM on Apr. 22, 2013

• Hylands teething tablets are a godsend. I also go old school and dip my finger in jack Daniels shake it off & rub their gums.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:01 AM on Apr. 22, 2013

• Pacifier or cool teething ring (not frozen).
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:05 AM on Apr. 22, 2013

• I always swore by a frozen baby wash cloth. Also, my l/o sometimes got a slight fever when teething, so maybe speak to your pediatrician about the correct dosage of baby tylenol or advil. I had a good sleeper until teething hit, but it does play a little havoc with that routine. GL
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:30 AM on Apr. 22, 2013

• Hylands teething tablets are wonderful, and it also comes in a liquid. Had great success with those products over the years.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:32 AM on Apr. 22, 2013

• I had good luck with those mesh bags attached to rings that they sell in the baby section. I'm not sure what they're called, but I would put some crushed eice in and give it to my daughter, and it would keep her contented long enough that she could fall asleep. She couldn't choke on the ice because it was in the mesh bag. To this day, she loves eating ice. I think they're sold to put frozen fruit in, but that made a sticky mess, so I just used ice.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:08 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• The teething tablets take the edge off. They are all natural so I feel better giving my son that instead of Tylenol.
    fumbles420

Answer by fumbles420 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• Thanks everyone! I've been using the teething gel and it has been great. and of course the cold teething rings are nice too, but I think they are cold in her hands so she drops them frequently.but otherwise, she is doing great!!
    newmom1978

Comment by newmom1978 (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• Orajel isn't really recommended, as it hardens their gums and makes it even harder for the teeth to cut through...most dentist tell you to stay away from it! I second the Hylands Teething Tablets, they are all natural, and don't affect the gums.
    Watch_me_burn

Answer by Watch_me_burn at 11:29 AM on May. 29, 2013