When should my baby start burping on her own?

My 4 month old baby doesn't like me to burp her until she finishes her 4 oz bottle, then she only likes me put her in sitting position until she burps. Could this cause alot of air in her tummy or is she just learning to burp on her own? She's such a stiff baby sometimes I worry.

Francinab

Asked by Francinab at 11:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I burped my daughter on my lap also around 4 months. She only wanted to be held like a baby while she was eating or falling asleep. Other than than that she had to be sitting on my lap. Usually once a baby starts sitting with little or no support or can move around on the floor; they begin to burp on their own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• my son is 6 months old and he does it still:)
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 1:45 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• She's showing a preference. Go with it. Either that or let it become a battle to burp (not worth it in my opinion)

When it started becoming more difficult to burp my guys I started backing off a bit. I think it was about 6 months when I didn't really have to burp them any longer...they were eating meals at the time so that probably had something to do with it. (by meals I mean baby food and starting table foods)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:45 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• When they start sitting up on their own or with support, they're usually good to burp on their own.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:12 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Yippee, I am so glad to hear that from all of you guys! My sweetie is just like her daddy, Stubborn!! From the beginning she would fight me on the burping stages. I'm glad I am about thru with that stage....Pleased with the positive inputs!!
    Francinab

Answer by Francinab at 4:50 PM on Feb. 17, 2009