Ok, was this normal or just rude bedside manners? (please if you're a nurse please respond)

ok, my friend's daughter in law had her baby yesterday. she ended up having a c-section due to her size. i went into the room before baby came out and it was freezing in there. the mamma to be wanted another blanket and the one nurse got mad. she actually was bitching under her breath because she had to go and get another blanket! (she already had four blankets on her) when the nurse finally got back into the room she pulled off the other blankets and put the warm one on thinking that would warm her up! the mamma had that needle in her back so she couldn't move, just voice her complaints. i told all three nurses that when i had all three of my kids i had anywhere between 15 to 20 blankets and pillows on my bed! truthfully i never had seen or heard ANY nurse being as rude as these three!

anyone else have this problem?

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Maybe the "Mother to be" set everyone off before you got there. I can see one Nurse having a bad day which is understandable but for all the Nurses to be snotty then I think they may have been dealing with a Prima Donna.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• That was rude. Patients have all kinds of requests, and the job of the nurse is to advocate for patients. But it does pay to know the whole story. I never assume that I know the whole story, and when I get a handoff about a patient (like if I hear they're a pain or that they've had lots of requests), I still try to walk in with a blank slate. But there may have been more leading up to this.
    Those ORs are always freezing (because of the staff that's layered up to be sterile), and a warm blanket (or 20) is definitely good! She probably did think she was doing the best thing by getting the warm blanket to her skin. But her approach probably wasn't the best.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• Nurses have bad days. Having a baby is stressfull on everyone and a momma that has a C section and doesn't expect it can get even more tense. When I am there and a member of the family, I ask the nurses where the blankets, pillows, ice is so that I can go and get these things and free the nurses up for more important duties.
    However many people do not and it is part of the nurses' job. It sounds as though they were rude. I have no way or knowing if the momma to be was being extra demanding or not.
    With my son, I had a nurse that gave me problems and I had my husband ask for her tto be replaced with someone else.
    If you are not satisfied you should ask for a change at the time.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• I had to have been there.
    Congratulations to your friend's DIL
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:21 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• They sound like they were rude. I would be really irritated by that. I was fairly low maintenance when I was in the hospital, but I had very normal and uncomplicated births, so my needs were not very high either. The way you say they were acting, you would think they had to personally clean the blankets themselves.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:24 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• I dunno...hard to say without being there really
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• Sounds rude to me. When I had my oldest son, I had 1 nurse that was a total bitch to me. I told my then-husband I wanted her gone. He went and found the nurse's station, and they tried to tell him I had no choice. He told them, "Well, if she comes back in there, my wife is likely to knock her on her ass." They were like, "Oh, moms are always tense in labor." He laughed and said, "Um, no, that would be her attitude to this nurse on a good day. Today, the nurse is liable to end up with something broken. Seriously, my wife does not want her in there." They finally took him seriously and got me another nurse, whom I absolutely loved. She was awesome!

I know nurses have bad days like anyone else, and just like anyone else, I'll cut them some slack to allow for that. But there's a point when you cross the line, bad day or not, and I for one wouldn't tolerate it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:27 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• Sounds rude, but also a lot of nurses ARE rude.

And here is my reasoning for trying to just shake it off.

Nurses do EVERYTHING and get no credit for it.

Doctors are only there for the short time of delivery. Nurses prep, make the patient comfortable have to know every detail of everything just as much as a doctor and just don't have the title.

A lof of people i feel don't take that into consideration.

Im not saying it is okay for a nurse to be a b!tch, just stating that sometimes they could just be having a very bad day too. :)

:)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• I would be filing a complaint. My nurses when I had my son were rude and disrespectful.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• I don't have to be a nurse to know that was rude. The new mom might have been hard to deal with, but you sign up for that when you choose to go into a helping profession. And I remember from having a C-section that the room felt freezing cold to me. When I said something about it, the doctor told me I was reacting to the shot he'd given me to stop my contractions when we opted for a C-section, but he personally got another blanket anyway.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2013