How would you handle a bday gift from grandma you do NOT want.

My mother bought my soon to be 6 year old a swimming pool. It's one of those big 400 dollar ones you see at Walmart. It apparently shipped today even though I've told her not to get it.

I think I have valid reasons. To begin with liability. My neighbors little boys sneak out all the time and comes over without anyone knowing. I'm scared they will drown.

Secondly, we do not have anywhere to put it except in the back yard where we park and it's all dirt and shade. And lastly, we are under water restrictions therefore it's illegal to fill it up right now. Our drought is so bad I doubt our restrictions will be lifted at all this year.

I'm sure it will piss her off, but I want to return it. How would you handle it?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 2:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2013 in Relationships

• I would return it. I would also send her a thank you card with the returned money included. Telling her that you really appreciate the gift, but where you live right now it is not a good time for such a cool gift. Thank her for thinking of you and that you love her bunches.

Kill her with kindness.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:21 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• Yes, it's my mother and she will be offended.

As offended as you are by her not listening to your wishes and doing as she pleases anyhow?  If my mother did that and my kids got wind of me returning a gift like that they would be super pissed at me.  She is doing something that is making you the bad guy for not allowing your child to accept the gift.  You should be equally offended.  JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• Oh shit... it is your mom? I thought we were talking about a MIL. I would return the gift and tell her thank you. I would then ask her what she would like you to do with the money. No dancing around needed with your own mom.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• Return it and put the money in a savings fund for your son, tell her you wont even be able to use it and you appreciate her thoughtfulness, but now he has the $400 in an account for him to use for smaller birthday presents, college fund etc.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:22 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• Return the swimming pool, make sure your mom gets the money back, and maybe suggest some gift options that might be more suitable. Tell her your insurance won't cover the liability of the swimming pool, which you'd have to check because pools often require a separate write-up to your policy. Each time your mom protests, just keep tellin her no, like a broken record. She'll catch on eventualy, and if she's offended, tough toenails. She's the giver; she needs to be sensitive to the family rules and circumstances.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:49 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• Damn. My Mom is loaded & doesn't even buy my kids socks. Put the pool at your Mom's house.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:13 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• I would thank her for the gift but you cannot have it. Than return it.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• Say thank you & return it. Also, a swimming pool is a gift for the whole family. So also buy yourself something (like some clothes) with the returned amount.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:36 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• I'd return it and then get passes to the local swimming pool and tell her since insurance and water requirements wouldn't allow you to keep it that you just KNEW that she wanted her grandson to be able to keep cool this summer legally.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• It is your MOM! Tell her, you told her not to buy it. that you will be bringing it back. And will be buying something else with the money.

Answer by louise2 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2013