Good mom/bad mom?

We live in and apartment on the fourth floor and HAVE to walk up four flights of stairs to get to the top! Usually I do all of my big grocery runs only when my husband is with me so I can walk our 2 and a half year old up while he does the bags. Anyway occasionally when hubby is not home I need a few things for dinner, etc. and every time we get back from the store and have to walk the stairs (just me and my son) my son poops around on the stairs or finds something like a rock or stick he's wants or just plain puts up a fight to walk up! You can imagine....I can't hold him because of all the things I have in my hands and he is perfectly capable of walking right in front of me! So today yet again we try going up the stairs and it starts off like this...in the car I say "son, you and mommy are going to walk up the stairs, I need for you to be a good boy and walk up with me' ok? So we start off ok, he sees a stick, "ok, get the stick and let's keep walking, these things are heavy"! Then he wants to sit and play with the stick, "no son, lets get thes upstairs then we can come back down and play"! He won't budge....now I'm hot, sweaty and ticked! "Son! Get up right now, walk! Walk! Walk!" He starts to throw a fit, so now I look like an unraveled crazy woman, he's crying, it's mess! We walk up the stairs, crying continues, me yelling "walk" continues! We get inside, and now I'm just fed up with this crap, it happens every time, and I'm sure the neighbors think I'm a b*tch! So we get in and I yell at him:( "son, this happens every time and mommy is sick of it, just sick of it!" Scoff!!!! I feel so bad for yelling at him and being a army soldier on the stairs and I don't want people thinking I'm a bad/mean mom yelling at my child! I love him more than life but this going up the stairs and him not co operating is for the damn birds!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2013 in General Parenting

• Take your son up first and get him settled in a safe place like on the couch with a few books or a favorite show and then quickly, go back down for the items.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• Sounds like stuff I have said to my kids too. Don't be so hard on yourself. :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 4:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• But no, you are NOT a bad mom. Just a frustrated one!! :0) We have all been there.
    But_Mommie

• Have you tried just continuing to walk and saying "bye! see you later! don't let the birds carry you away by your toes!" and keep on walking? Kids typically will follow. You get *just* far enough for comfort and they will come running behind. Worst case, you get to the top, plop the groceries by your door and head back down to get him.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 4:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• But-Mommie has a brilliant (and safer) solution!
    daylily888

• You're not a bad mom. Having to get down on your kids in public is always unnerving, but this stage will pass for him. Could you have him "help" you by being a big boy and carryig something light up the stairs, like a package of toilet paper?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• I agree with But_mommie. I don't see anything with speaking firmly with him to WALK lol I just wouldn't yell at him once inside...he is still kinda young but depending on the child I may put in a quick time out personally. No you're not a bad mom. Depending on how close your car is I would take my son, walk him to the steps(let him grab a stick or whatever) go back get the grocery(but my parking was right in front of steps) and then "mush" him up the stairs like you lol.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:53 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• why don't you get a backpack to carry him up the stairs with?
    Anonymous

• I would have been the mom to say, See you later! and walked by him.

My dd does this kind of stuff a lot. Yelling just usually leads to her acting worse the next time.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:04 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• Or a backpack to carry the groceries in. I used to haul my stuff home from the store that way all the time when I lived by myself.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2013