How do you homeschool if you work?

I think someone told me one time it is possible but how? I work full time and I am a single parent. i am just inquiring because I want to have choices when she does go to school.

libramoon007

Asked by libramoon007 at 5:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2013 in General Parenting

• Schooling at home doesnt have to be regular school hours. Granted, it could be a healthier lifestyle as far as rest goes but it could be later in the day.

(Have them study in the day time while you work, go over new material while you are at home)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• My child is only four she can be home by herself so that is why I do not think its possible. Maybe for order children but younger ones.
    libramoon007

Comment by libramoon007 (original poster) at 5:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• IMO it's not possible, nor fair to the child.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• I suppose that it could be done in the late afternoons/evenings, but homeschooling takes a lot of time and preparation to do it right. The home schooled kids I know have stay at home moms and these moms put many hours into what they do.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 5:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• Exactly. Homeschooling is not for working parents.
    libramoon007

Comment by libramoon007 (original poster) at 5:48 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• I'm not sure what you are getting at then?

I think it is POSSIBLE. but difficult. lol
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:49 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• It wouldn't be easy, but it could be done. It would require a serious support system, including family and a babysitter that is willing to work with the child when you are working. You would also have to accept that you won't really have time for yourself, no time to see a movie or read a book even. You might find some time, but it would be rare.

I work from home and homeschool - the only thing that really makes it possible is the extreme flexibility of my hours. I can work whenever I want - whatever hours, any day, any time. That allows me to focus on homeschooling and fit work in around it, rather than the other way around.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• Well, i was getting at that its not for working parents. I thought I just said that. I did find s private school with small classes that I am interested in. I was just wondering. I do not have a support system here. i am on my own. I do not think its worth homeschool if I can not do it myself and hire someone to do it, then I could just send her to public school. I am just looking at options and I think this ones out.
    libramoon007

Comment by libramoon007 (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• Homeschooling can work for working parents, parents just have to arrange their schedules/have a job that will allow them to work and still school their children.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• That depends on what type of homeschooling you are talking about. I know a lot of people that consider online schooling homeschooling and for that the parents don't have much to do other then put their kid in front of the computer for the lessons and then help them with homework like other parents and supervise while testing. For a single parent with no support system you are probably right it wouldn't work for you with a young child, but don't just say it does not work at all for working parents.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2013