How old

Was your child when you left them home alone? I know my childhood probably wasn't the normal age but starting in 3rd grade I would wake up get myself ready for school walk to the bus stop, and when I got home I'd be by myself for an hour. So I'm curious about everyone else. I'm not sure when but I know my dds won't be like me.

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 5:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2013 in General Parenting

• I did the same when I was a kid.

We let our older 2 stay alone together for short periods when the oldest was 9 I think. Now they are young teens and sometimes they watch their younger brother as well. They are good kids and if they did something stupid like have a friend over while we weren't here their brother would totally rat them out.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• Probably early to mid-teens, for short periods of time.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• With my child probably 11 or 12 which is the legal age in most states.

My childhood, I know the first time I was home alone without anyone for an extended period was 12 when I stayed home all weekend. My oldest brother is 4 yrs older so with him he was probably 10 and would watch us during the day. I started babysitting my younger sisters around the same age. My mother always left early for work from what I can remember and my siblings or I were responsible to get up and off to school since I was in kindergarten.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:15 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• We grew up in times where we were never alone cause someone was always in the home, but my home is different now.

I will have to see how responsible my son is when I decide what age he can stay home alone for a few hours or more.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• I started staying home alone after school when I was in 4th grade, I think? 3rd or 4th.

My kids are 12 & 9. I would be willing to consider letting my 12 yr old stay home alone for a quick trip to get milk at the store right down the street, but that's about it. My 9 yr old could not be trusted to be home alone yet. And I would NOT trust the two of them home alone together. If they didn't kill each other first, they'd burn the house down. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• My older 2 started staying home together when they were 9 and 10 for an hour here and there in daylight hours. I left them at home alone for the first time at 11 yo, again for no more than a couple hours during the day. They are 11 and 12 and I still don't leave them for more than a couple hours and not at night.

Answer by missanc at 7:48 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• It will depend on his maturity and the laws in my state. I was left alone with my siblings starting when I was 10 and my sister 11.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:36 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• I was 11 when I became an afterschool latch key kid and it wasnt until I was 15 I was responsible for also getting myself off to school in the morning.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• I was in 4th grade. Mine was more come home to an empty house and be home alone from 2:00pm until 6:00pm at the earliest.

I've left my son home alone for no more than 30 minutes when he was 8. I don't do it often, and I don't EVER plan on my kids being latchkey kids like I was. We try for short amounts of time to see how HE handles it, and how ok with it *I* am.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:26 AM on Apr. 23, 2013

• I dont plan on it till they are 11-12. My parents use to leave me alone at 6 and I learned to grow up quick. I was a good kid and rarely got into trouble
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:19 AM on Apr. 23, 2013