Is this enough of a beginner's workout?

Every day: Plank, crunches, and 30 minutes of cardio(walking outside, walking on treadmill, our recumbent bike)

Day 1: Upper body; 5 machines, each with 3 sets of 12.
Day 2: Lower body; 5 machines each with 3 sets of 12. Day 3: No machines, just a exercises and cardio.
Day 4: Repeat day 1.
Day 5: Repeat day 2.
Day 6: Repeat day 3.
And so on...

Is this enough for a beginner? I don't want to overdo it and give up, but I don't want too just be spinning my wheels either, you know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Apr. 22, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• yes, this is more than enough for a start.

If it were me, I would increase the repetitions and decrease weights. 5 sets of 10 each machine. Posture is crucial- focus on holding the core of your abdomen stretched and stable.

LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• Let your body be your guide. A little soreness and stiffness after starting new exercises is normal, a lot isn't. So if you feel little or no stiffness, then don't add anything on and see how it goes for a few days, then add on and see how that works for you.

Answer by Bmat at 9:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• There is no day 3
    Anonymous

• Thanks ladies. Anonymous, I'm not sure what you mean. On day 3 I do abs and cardio.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:01 AM on Apr. 23, 2013

• I think for a beginner you need more cardio less reps. 8 to 10 reps for a beginner. 3 x a week cardio. Just beginning 20 minutes of cardio, work up to at least 30 to 45 min. Also you should let the muscles rest every other day to rebuild so it should look like: Recommended 3x a week cardio, 3x a week strength.
    Day 1 strength train
    Day 2 20 minutes of cardio
    Day 3 Strength train
    Day 4 Cardio
    Day 5 Strength train
    Day 6 Rest
    Day 7 Cardio
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 8:08 AM on Apr. 23, 2013