Medical Transcription

Just wondering how many of you do this and if you do it where did you get certified?

Justins_mommy05

Asked by Justins_mommy05 at 11:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2013 in Money & Work

• I wouldn't choose to go into this. With all the new speech software there won't be a need for them for much longer. I would go into coding or billing if you want to do something like that. You could probably take some online classes for it. Try Googling it. The only place I know of is CareerStep but I'm sure there are more options.
    Anonymous

• I started to study medical transcription but decided not to pursue it because the field is dying. Many doctors use speech recognition software or type their reports directly on their laptops now, and transcriptionists aren't nearly as much in demand as they used to be. I have a close friend who has done transcription for nearly 25 years, but she's had to broaden her scope and start making hard copies of interviews for documentaries and the like just to keep earning a living wage.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:50 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• I went to a business college for it and to tell you the truth... money well wasted!!! They talked about job placement, which didn't happen. They talked about it being a field that is in demand, bunch of BS. They talked about it being something wonderful to get into, also a bunch of BS. Mainly because anytime I tried to apply, employers would want someone with at least 2-3 yrs experience. Hello!!! I can't get the experience if no one will give me the chance!!!

So now I work as an admin asst./office manager for a pest control company... lol Best job I have ever had because I have an amazing boss!!!
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 10:42 AM on Apr. 23, 2013

• I used to do it about 20 years ago out of my home. I was self trained actually. I started doing transcription while working for a chiropractor. Actually my first job working for an attorney is where I learned how to do it. After my EMT/Paramedic training, I found out that women were actually making money by doing this from their home, as their own business. So, I started it. I worked for two doctors where I used to live and when I moved down here, I worked for three doctors. But, again, that was years ago. I don't think it's anything worthy of your time right now, unless you are actually working for the hospital or a doctor's office.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:49 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• You can get this done online here and also through many community colleges:

http://distance.und.edu/noncreditcourse/?id=mbc

Some courses are correspondence-style, which give you unlimited amount of time to complete them, but also do not qualify for federal financial aid.  Other courses are semester-based and do have a time limit for completion, and these courses typically qualify for federal financial aid. Someone else on here stated that as an alternative, you could take a CNA program at your community college, then get a job in healthcare and get your employer to help with paying for your LPN or RN program. Transcription jobs are dying due to digital shift. You'd make more as an RN (around $50-65K) for 2 years of school, which is a good investment.

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 8:02 AM on Jun. 13, 2013