2nd child of Pa. couple dies after only praying

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - A Philadelphia couple – serving 10 years' probation for the 2009 death of their toddler after they turned to prayer instead of a doctor – has violated their probation now that another of their children has died.

Herbert and Catherine Schaible belong to a fundamentalist Christian church that believes in faith-healing.

Philadelphia Judge Benjamin Lerner said at a hearing they violated the most important condition of their probation: to seek medical care for their remaining children.

Authorities have yet to file criminal charges in the death of the 8-month-old boy last week, after he suffered with diarrhea and breathing problems for days. But charges could be filed once authorities pinpoint how the baby died.

The couple is on probation after a jury convicted them of involuntary manslaughter in 2010 in the death of their 2-year-old son, Kent, from pneumonia.

Thoughts? Were they within their relgious right to choose not to go to a doctor and believe that prayer would heal their children or should have someone stepped ina dn saved those children from them?

My heart breaks to children died because yet another set of people believe their god will heal them and doctors are not needed. 

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 11:31 AM on Apr. 23, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Honestly, I'd like to beat these people to death while they prayed for me to stop.
    Clearly, they are not sane and are unfit parents & should never be allowed to have anymore children.
    But, our just system is also to blame. Why wasn't the other child taken away from them after the death of the first one?!?
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:35 AM on Apr. 23, 2013

• If you want to pray when you or your kid is sick, have at it! But make sure that you also use a little common sense and seek medical attention when it's needed. Kind of like the guy on the roof that waited for God to save him as a boat and whatever else went by. You have to step up and do something to help yourself/your kids, not just sit back and think that praying is going to fix everything. If it worked like that, the world wouldn't be the mess that it is right now.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:43 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• I do not understand the thought process. I believe that God canheal. I also believe that one of the vehicles for that healing is the intellegence that he gave to humans. Humans have learned how to use the gifts given them ( brains, , the ability to use those to make medicines and impliment techniques) To not use the gifts you are given is disrespectful, in my opinion. I do believe that you have to look at the options and decide if they are good practices of not. I believe that just because you can do a thing does not mean you should do it.
    I am a little torn because I do believer, for the most part, that people should be allowed to practice the belief system of their choice, whether I agree with it or no. However I do think the state/ country has the right to impose certain conditions as well. Endangering a person's life who is incapable of making an adult decission about it it is wrong. The taking of a human life is
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:28 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• Exactly^^^

This is why (and yes I know it's a civil rights issue) but, I honestly believe that some people should be sterilized.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:44 AM on Apr. 23, 2013

• How incredibly sad! I have no problem if an adult of sound mind wants to stay away from doctors and pray for healing, but these children were too young to make that decision for themselves. There was a case a few years ago of a baby that starved to death, while there was formula from the hospital in the house, because the parents believed breastfeeding was natural and ordained by God as the only way babies should be nourished, and the mom couldn't produce enough milk. It's a slippery slope, telling people how to raise their kids and how to practice their religion. Still, I can't help but think that providing basic medical care like antibiotics should be mandatory till adulthood.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:49 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• They are both things that could've been clearly taken care of with meds. I am all about natural forms of medicine and healing but both my kids still go the doctor. I'll do Reiki AFTER we get home with their antibiotics haha. Poor babies. :-(
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 12:08 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• wrong, even if it is part of your religion, thinking human sacrifice.
    That would be withholding necessary means of survival. Many years ago there was a case of a bedridden man who was denied food or water and died "naturally" in his bed. There have been the mercy killing cases and another one about somemedicine, probably insulin, that was withheld. They are wrong and the state says they are wrong.
    You must follow the government and follow your religion
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:32 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• wow those poor babies that had idiots for parents!!!! i love my children and i do believe prayers help heal among the medications!!! may those poor children rip
    mamide02ninas

Answer by mamide02ninas at 11:36 AM on Apr. 23, 2013

• This only goes to show how being a fanatic always leads to wrong......in my eyes I see these people as mental cases....

Answer by older at 3:31 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• They can still do both but one was needed more than the other.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 23, 2013