Are schools rewriting history and teaching it to our children? FIXED

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/homework-promotes-anti-american-view-of-world-war-two.html

It is worth reading the whole thing but if not read the firs  paragraph and the last 2.

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 1:17 PM on Apr. 23, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• "we have to pretend that dropping the bomb was a good thing we did? "okmanders
    No not necessarily. But if you look beyond the destruction of what the bombs did, it did end a very bloody and violent war. The US want Japan to surrender, we warned them many times of the consequences if they did not. But the Japanese are very proud people, and still refused. So we dropped the 2 bombs and then the Soviets invaded Manchuria, quickly defeated primary Imperial Japanese Army there also. Then they surrendered.
    Ending the war like we did, I mean completely ened it, inevitability did save millions of lives. It was after that that the " denazification" and removing Nazis from history, and catching the high-ranking Nazis and making them stand trial. Thus saving more people from those horrid camps.
    Then when the economic recovery started for the countries all over the world, it was great for many.

cont..;
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:04 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• I don't see the problem here. I see the assignment as a way to teach the kids some critical thinking skills. I fully believe that the US had every right to retaliate against the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Do I think the Bombing of Hiroshima was the right way to go? I don't know. It was some massive overkill (no pun intended) I will admit that.

Would the Japanese have surrendered? I doubt it. They (generic) are a culture bound and steeped in honor. To back down or to surrender is dishonorable.

I think the parents are overreacting just a little bit.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:09 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• the over the top, America can do no wrong mentality in most of our US history classes does far more to re-write history than this (granted crappy) worksheet did.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:08 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• Yeah, quit teaching more than one perspective, go back to teaching the America is always right, no matter what, even when it's not POV.

What I find most sad is that so many people seem to be perfectly ok with the watered down Disneyfied version of history they were taught in elementary and high school, to the point that when presented with the reality, they think it's some kind of "liberal conspiracy". Wake up, people, at least half the truths you discover by learning about reality were the fault of the other party.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• ...really...

we have to pretend that dropping the bomb was a good thing we did? we have to filter out the bad stuff and justify it? we have to pretend that Japanese ppl werent victimized b/c of the radiation that came along with us bombing them? yes, they killed Americans at Pearl Harbor, but if one were to really study everything that went into our nuking Japan you'd understand why most historians see it as a BAD thing we did. it should be treated as such. i dont see that as a liberal bias, i see that as truth.

whats next? we gonna justify slavery b/c it was beneficial to African Americans b/c it gave them food and shelter in our great land? come on...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• No results found
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:19 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• As a long-time proofreader of textbooks, I can see that what we emphasize about history changes with the years. The worksheet was probably intended to get students to ponder issues, think critically, and form valid arguments. The problem comes in when we try to judge historical happenings of another place and time through the lens of our 2013 values, with the aid of hindsight.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:15 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• I think it's always a good idea to be aware of what our kids are being taught. Regardless of text books, teachers have opinions, too. Since we can't observe history, we can only discuss the facts. History is always through the viewpoint of the historian. We have to teach our kids to look for facts and form their own opinions. I didn't see anything wrong in the article. On the other hand I feel we as a country have seen a decrease in patriotism in our younger generations. But, we should always question. The same concern was voiced over the way Manifest Destiny was portrayed and the way the south in the Civil War was portrayed in history classes.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 4:00 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• And it made the US one of the richest countries in the world, and we took over the world's economy. And we gave 13 billion in economic and technical help that aided in the European countries. And if I remember right, the Japanese economy became one of the largest economies in 1980s.
    But none of this is ever in any of the history books. It seems like some folks have a bigger issue with kids learning about the nuclear bombs, then about the Holocaust. If we didn't end the war like we did, how many more of the camps could have been built or how many more Jews, the gay men and whoever else Hitler thought was "bad". Also, about 85% of the total deaths were on the Allies side, and the other 15% were on the Axis. For example, 7.5 million people died in China caused by the Japanese.
    If you do not learn from your history, you are doomed to repeat it. Something that our current govt has forgotten about.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:20 AM on Apr. 24, 2013