Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If I needed to get diagnosed for ADD what type of doctor would I see?

For adults.
My ds just got put on adderal and he is doing great I had taken one from him just for the fun of it and wow I was focused and did plenty that day...I know I shouldn't be messing with his meds but I just wanted to try it and now I want to get myself checked as well but can't seem to find a doctor in my area...ugh!

Can someone point me in the right direction...I live in Houston, TX.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Apr. 23, 2013 in Health

Answers (9)
  • A psychiatrist would be able to dx you and also treat you with medication if you do have ADHD.

    Answer by Nos4 at 5:56 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

  • Self-diagnosis and taking someone else's prescription medicine, without proper guidance from a doctor, is very unwise.

    Answer by Ballad at 5:17 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

  • I get distracted alot in a day. I've looked for something to eat only to remember that I already had something warming in the microwave. I start to clean a room and end up doing something completely different without finishing. It doesnt mean I need meds for it. I think it just means I am human with much to do!

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

  • True ladies...I just want to be able to focus on what I start. I can began a project and do not finish it. Is it really that bad?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

  • Adderal works for lots of ppl...not just those with attention disorders. so you might not have ADD which means you wouldnt get the RX for adderal. plus, for adult ADD they usually dont just give you adderal, you have to go thru the lighter stuff least DH did. his Dr said that when it comes to adults they figure you've survived this long without drugs, why should they drug you up now?

    Answer by okmanders at 3:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

  • Sorry. I don't know any Dr. Feel good in the Houston area. I could get you a name of one that will deep you off of any unnecessary meds though. He's a little cranky, but smart and a MENSA member.

    Answer by QuinnMae at 3:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

  • Talk to your primary care doctor first and he may be able to help you or refer you to a behavioral doctor.

    Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

  • No. You shouldn't have taken your child's medication, period. If you have gotten this far in life without serious focus issues, you do not have adult ADHD. Use coffee, don't abuse prescription medication.

    Answer by KA91 at 2:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

  • So you want the dx for the drugs?

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.