Summer babysitting rates....

SIL asked if we would watch her son, our nephew, for the summer for 4 hours a day.
She originally offered $200 every 2 weeks ($400/month) and now she's only offering $200 a month.
Hours would be 9-1. He's 8.
Is this a fair price? He's probably going to be eating with us, or whenever my kids eat, so that will cost me.
Thoughts? Anyone?
Kind of makes me upset that she's lowered what she's offering now.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Apr. 23, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• That's like $2.50/ hour.... I'd say no thank you!! The 400/month would be $5/hour... I wouldn't do it for less than that... even still she could not find anything cheaper. She'd pay a LOT more at a professional day care!! WOW is she low-balling you!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• $300/month
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:58 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• I'd tell her I won't it for less than the $400/mo she originally offered. If she doesn't like that, she's welcome to try (and I do mean TRY) to find somewhere else that will do it cheaper.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• Is this everyday? It's family, so even if her original price is still pretty low.. I'd tell her to stick with it.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 7:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• Why did she change her price? Did you agree to the $400 a month? Even if you did, you can always refuse the lower offer, especially if he's going to be eating with your family.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:12 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• Yes, that's what's frustrating. we agreed on $400/month and then she txt me the other day when I asked her what hours for sure I would be watching him, and she changed the price to $200/month. *flabbergasted* lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:36 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• The kid is 8 so it's not like you will be changing diapers. And your kids will keep him entertained. Personally, if she changed the price, I would ask her if she was going to send food with him everyday. When my kids were younger, my then MIL watched them for $20 a day and I provided all of their food. And that was for 3 kids. I've babysat for family before and only accepted what they could afford (unless they needed a sitter to go drinking, then I charged a flat $2 per hour per kid). I was raised that family helps family.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 8:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• That's only $50/week! I would say $300/month is about the cheapest she'll be able to find and if it was my nephew I would do it for that, but no less.

Answer by missanc at 8:22 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• Have a talk with her, not through texting, and ask why the change. Negotiate the pay with her. You are entitled to more than the $200.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:50 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• I meant you are entitled to more than $200 a month.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:51 AM on Apr. 24, 2013