Teachers told they must not use red ink for marking homework in case it upsets pupils

This time it's in London, not the US, but still.  Seriously?  Does anyone really wonder why we have generations of spoiled brats who can't take care of themselves, let alone their own children?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:41 PM on Apr. 23, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• That is pretty damned stupid.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:42 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• WTF?!?!?!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:44 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• I've heard of this before, it's so stupid. Kids should feel bad if they score poorly. They shouldn't be happy with mediocrity. So, I'm all for the sharpness of red.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:45 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• eye rolling

Now that I think of it, my daughter's teacher has never used red ink, I wonder if that is a rule at her school

BookMama3

Answer by BookMama3 at 6:47 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• image

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:47 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• Everything these days seems to cater to overly sensitive people.. encouraging them to stay that way. This isn't gonna help anything.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 6:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• I was told this when I was an instructor in the Navy and we had to evaluate students. We couldn't use black ink because it distracted them and scared them. I wanted the students to see how bad they were screwing up and before the ban, the papers were bleeding from all that ink.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• Lol stupid.
    Rubysarmiento

Answer by Rubysarmiento at 6:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• they teach this at my college...i think its stupid. something about how the brain ties the color red to failure...its bs imo.

so instead of red i've used orange, pink, and neon green haha. its just as bright, it shows what they need to work on just as well, and it doesnt break "the rule". failure is failure no matter what color the ink is...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:56 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• Oh, for the love of God! A mistake is a mistake in any color. We're going to raise a generation of cry babies.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2013