18 months old - naps for 30 mins then wants to nurse for 45 mins, can't get her off this habit, screams when I try to detach.

Kttutu

Asked by Kttutu at 9:28 PM on Apr. 23, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• have you pumped and tried to lay her down with the bottle? is she getting enough to eat before you lay her down?
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 9:29 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• 18 months old?? How about some solid food??? She's probably hungry!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:37 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• Sounds like she is using you as a pacifier... At 18 months, is she eating any solid foods?? Have you started using a cup with her ??
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:47 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• i swear i read 8 months at first... at 18 months the baby should be on solids. she must be hungry and not getting enough if shes waking up to feed.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• How is bedtime? If you go through the same routine at bedtime she may just not know how to fall asleep on her own. She is using you as a pacifier. Try establishing a different nap routine, not nursing to get her to sleep. Perhaps nurse an hour before nap time if you aren't ready to wean. If you haven't introduced a bottle, go ahead and introduce a sippy cup. Some of my kids never drank from a bottle. They went straight from nursing to sippy cups. My youngest is 18 months. I couldn't nurse him past 3 months but I nursed my oldest till he was 2 but probably by then only about twice per day, probably after meal times and before nap, I've forgotten a lot.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• I'm sure I read somewhere that if a baby hasn't lost interest in nursing by eighteen months, she probably won't lose interest on her own and you'll have to take steps to wean her when you're ready. At a year and a half, most of her nutrition should be coming from solid foods and whole milk. Nursing after eighteen months is fine, but it does sound like you're being used as a human pacifier. If you know she's full, you may have to read her a story, put on some soft music or white noise, and let her learn to fall asleep without the breast. It won't be fun for either of you, but hopefully it won't take too long.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• Moms are not used as pacifiers. Pacifiers are used to replace mothers. **smile**

That said... it's OK to set rules. If you can't nurse as long as she likes, then nurse as long as you CAN and don't let the screaming bother you. This is like ANY OTHER TANTRUM. There's nothing magical about nursing that you aren't allowed to set limits and say no.

I would not do the bottle at nap time, even with breast milk. Milk pooled in the mouth can cause "bottle rot."

Answer by gdiamante at 12:04 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• "I'm sure I read somewhere that if a baby hasn't lost interest in nursing by eighteen months, she probably won't lose interest on her own and you'll have to take steps to wean her when you're ready. "

Actually, no. Normal expected age of weaning is a lot older than 18 months and if you leave it alone, it comes easier.

Mine was nowhere near ready to wean at 18 months but weaned all on his own at 26 months... I did NOTHING to encourage him.. Usually if mom leaves things alone they wean on their own, and sooner than if mom tries to lead. That reverse psychology thing... the more you try to deny them something the more they want it. If you're indifferent, they become indifferent.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:06 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• "i swear i read 8 months at first... at 18 months the baby should be on solids. she must be hungry and not getting enough if shes waking up to feed."

Just to correct a misconception... nursing at 18 months doesn't mean baby doesn't get solids! It's not all one or all the other.

Meet my 13 year old. At 18 months, he was eating solids at least 3 times a day (often more than that) and still nursing anywhere from once a day to once an hour.

Lots of great info on kellymom about the benefits of nursing a toddler (for you and baby) if you're interested.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:09 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• Thank you all so much, I just read all of your comments to my daughter who has the 18 month old. She appreciates your tips and thoughts. Now have to get landlord upstairs to accept crying baby for a few days at naptime...
    Kttutu

Comment by Kttutu (original poster) at 10:34 PM on Apr. 25, 2013