Why won't my child's oral surgeon let me in

Hazel83416

Asked by Hazel83416 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 23, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• During surgery? If that's what you're asking, there is no reason for you to be in there contaminating the room and distracting the staff.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• Because it is a SURGERY.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• I would think kids get more emotional when they have a parent in the room instead of having to be brave without their parent. It makes a safer environment for everyone I would think. If you don't trust your oral surgeon then maybe look for a new one.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:58 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• My stepson had oral surgery under general anesthetic, and no one could go in with him. But his mom was brought right in as soon as he woke up. The staff will call for you as soon as your child stirs, so that you're there when he or she needs you most.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:32 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• Sorry but I disagree with those saying you'd contaminate surgery. I've had my husband in the same room with me, so I know it's not true. There's no law or rule for it. The door was left open anyway. I think some doctors just don't want you to distract them, but you can demand to be there since you are paying the bill. I'd find another doctor or at least one that has an assistant in there with him, just in case something weird happens. I certainly would not let a female child be alone with any doctor. I've seen numerous stories of inappropriate touching under anesthesia or just wiping their hands on a girl's napkin on her chest to "cop a feel."
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:19 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• Because having a parent present more often causes more stress to the child than reassurance...
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:53 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• More info is needed. If the child is going for surgery and completely going under there is no reason you should not be allowed in to view or allowed to view from those windows in a teaching hospital and I would insist on it as you never know what happens in those rooms. If the child is not going to be completely asleep then it is the parents call I think whether to be there or not. They know whether their child would be better with or without them in the room.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:21 AM on Apr. 24, 2013