• In the Spotlight:

Doggie Seizures

One of my Huskies has seizures. After a cluster of 4 grand mals on Christmas day last year she was put on Phenobarbital. It has been working like a charm...or at least she hadn't had any more seizures...until a couple of weeks ago when she had two in one day. Then today she had two.

I plan to call the vet tomorrow morning, but am curious now for anyone who might know...

Is it "normal" to still have seizures when on meds or should we expect the meds stop them completely forever?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 10:51 PM on Apr. 23, 2013 in Pets

• I can't speak for your dog, but I have Epilepsy and I still occassionaly have seizures. Maybe the vet will have to increase the amt. of Phenobarbital your dog takes.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• I have a friend whose dog has/had seizures.(I don't know for sure if that dog is still living) But from what I remember even though she had meds for him there was still one occasionally. Usually after too much excitement in the previous day.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:34 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• The meds will drastically cut the frequency of the seizures and their severity, but a complete cure is unlikely. It sounds to me like the medication is working extremely well, if the dog has only had four seizures since getting put on it. Is anything different in the environment during the last few weeks, like a new food, a new pet, or some other stressor?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:21 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• No, nothing new. No stressors and no excitements. In fact, the last four that she had were when she was lying down...and maybe even sleeping for one or two of them.
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 12:47 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• Have you tried http://thundershirt.com/

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:10 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• Our dog had seizures. She was on Phenobarbital, Potassium Bromide, and Gabapentin, and would still have seizures. I would keep a log, just marking it on the calendar. If I noticed an increase in the frequency, then I would call the vet. Bella would seize normally at night. The vet said there is a stronger possibility of seizing when the dog is at rest. Good luck, I know it use to scare the heck out of me.
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 7:53 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• Does your dog by any chance eat Beneful??? Many sicknesses, including liver and/or kidney failure and seizures, and even DEATHS have been linked to that food. If you (or anyone else reading this) are feeding it, please stop immediately and research it. There are even groups on FB with stories from many different dog owners. Please spread the word, too! And Purina REFUSES to admit that there is anything wrong (so I would avoid any and ALL of their products...which I've done for YEARS anyway because it is ALL crap)...even going so far as deleting ANY negative post posted to their Beneful FB page and offering to pay people off as long as they sign something stating they will never sue Purina of speak of anything!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2013