Do you feel that the media coverage of a suspect helps?

or harms? I'm not sure how to word this. I saw something on the news this morning about the authorities that pulled the bombing suspect from the boat. This one man said something to the effect that this was nothing more than a terrorist. Correct, but with all the information out there for the public to read about that family, their lives, etc.. etc... Do you think this might make the public sympathetic to the suspect? I realize that the media has to provide coverage from all perspectives, but do you think this really helps? I also read something about his friends trying to update his online presence to show that he was just an ordinary college student. Does this just come with the times and territory about what online media influences?

Okay, I might be spinning here, but if you understand what I am trying to ask, feel free to reword it for me. Otherwise, what is your opinion?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 10:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• It's gossip, no different than the latest celebrity DUI or Teen Mom drug bust. That's all the level of interest people really have in it all, it doesn't have any profound impact on the world. We'd be better off without it, but that won't happen.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:17 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• Are you asking whether media information about a captured suspect helps or hinders a court case? As in, does it help or hurt the case to know the Tsarnaev brothers were into radical Islamist sites, that the feds believe the older brother was the real instigator, that the surviving brother seemed to be a "normal" Americanized kid to people who knew him?

Media coverage does make it harder to get a fair trial. But as we saw in the OJ SImpson case, a jury can still go its own way.

I think it makes us all more uncomfortable to think Dzhokar Tsarnaev spent the last decade in this country, went to a public school and didn't seem radical to those who knew him. You wonder, if it can happen to him, who else could it happen to?

You might find the discussion on WBUR's "Here and Now" website interesting. The show's host actually had Dzhokar as a guest at a pre-prom party for her nephew in 2011.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:34 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• I don't know. I would like to say that it doesn't hurt or help, but there are a lot of people that trust their source of choice instead of reading several sources, so it might hurt more than help. Meaning it hurts prosecution and the case against the defendant.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:09 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• I feel with a case like this it really doesn't matter what the authorities said.
    The public has already made their decision.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:15 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• I've wondered if it makes finding a jury more difficult, with so much coverage.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• Honestly I think the media makes more of a headache to any situation than it helps. Far too often they tend to report a story to lean the general population the direction they want them to go...and many times with not fully correct information, and too often they are not held accountable for the incorrect information they spew.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:40 AM on Apr. 24, 2013