Canceling my DD's 6th bday party. She's so upset.

My heart hurts for my little one. We all agreed weeks ago the day of the party, I explained to the family that I have my parents coming from out of state and we wouldn't be able to change the date. My Mom had to ask off from work, secure a hotel room, etc.

Everyone agreed it was to be next weekend. My DD's sister in law is the girl scout leader. She stopped by tonight and announced a field trip for the scouts on that day! Every single one of her friends will be on that trip. Her SIL knew this and said to my dd, "oh well you just have to get over it". I refrained from bitch slapping her.

Dd cried herself to sleep repeating that none of her friends will be at her party. I'm so upset for her. I said we could have a family party and then the following weekend we could invite her friends. Her SIL said no that won't work because everyone has ball and another party. I tried suggesting other weekends and she said they had highway clean up, etc.

I want to go off on her away from the kids. How would you handle this? I hate to think she is doing this on purpose.....but.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2013 in Relationships

• Can she have a sleepover after the field trip? How long will the field trip take?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• It's from 9 to 6 and three hours away. I have to come up with something spectacular to make this up to her. Something.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• Is everyone busy both days on the weekend? What about doing something on a Friday night?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• That's awful! There must be some way around it. What about doing something the day after the field trip, on a Sunday? Or having the family party that weekend and then doing something with her friends and *not* your sister-in-law and them on another day?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:19 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• As a scout leader I tried to juggle dates as much as possible.There were always a few things that we (I) had little control over the dates assigned to us but this sounds a bit contrived or careless.

We have a children's hair salon here.They have a beauty package ...lol...for young girls.A fancy ponytail or braid ,a simple all but colorless mani ,then we went to a fave restaurant.We took a goup but it would work well with just 2 or 3 on a Sunday afternoon.This wasn't my daughter ,she was much older when it opened but I went with my niece.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 11:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• She IS doing it on purpose. Issue the invitations for another date. Maybe make it after school. Do NOT tell SIL the date. Make it a few weeks from now.

SIL doesn't OWN these girls just because she's scout leader. Girl scout work is OPTIONAL not required.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• I would think it was being done on purpose, you need to make a date and have it. I don't know much about the girl scout's but I highly doubt all Saturdays and Sunday's are being used each weekend. If she make's it to where the girls can not join again then you need to take her aside and ask her well basically wtf is she doing.
    RitzCrackerz

Answer by RitzCrackerz at 12:06 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• "If she make's it to where the girls can not join again then you need to take her aside and ask her well basically wtf is she doing."

I'd take it a step farther and go to the local Girl Scout council!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:10 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• Did you already issue the invitations? Has anyone RSVP'd? You might be surprised...the girls may come to the birthday party instead, I don't think I'd cancel.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:07 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• Your 6 year old daughter has a sister in law? Somebody anybody is taking 6 year olds for how many freaking hours? I don't believe a word of this. And this is posted anon. TROLL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 AM on Apr. 24, 2013