Would you ask a parent if they owned firearms before agreeing to a playdate?

I read artcle and i thought it was a good cafemom question.

Asked by libramoon007 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 23, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Yep. I prefer my kids at my house anyway and rarely let them go anyone else's if I'm not there. I don't know how people might treat my kids, especially if some are perverts. I like to play it safe.

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:09 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• Its none of their business. But rest assured, my guns and everything else such as poisonous cleaners, medications, any poisonous plants, would be OUT OF REACH. There would be constant supervision, the pool would be off limits unless the parent would be there, or if they were at least 12 yrs old and the written consent of their mom. I would watch them with the love and concern I have for my own child.

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:39 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• I wouldn't let my daughter go to someone's house if I didn't know the parents well and trust them. By the time I would feel comfortable letting her go, I would either know if there were guns in the house or I would trust the parents enough to be sure they would take safety precautions.

Answer by Ballad at 11:15 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• When my son use to do playdates they were always in public places, parks Chuck E Cheese, and if at someone's home, I was there too.
    Now he is 10, he does not go to anyone's home I do not know.

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• But yes, if I wanted to leave my kids at other people's houses, I would not only want to know if they had guns, but how they were stored.

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• I would hope that the parent's had enough common sense to keep anything dangerous away from their children and mine, but no, I never asked that of another parent.

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:32 PM on Apr. 23, 2013

• I didn't until my (8 years old at the time) daughter went to play at her best friend's house, like she had many times before (the mom was my DDs girl scout leader) and when she came home she told me about the gun her friend showed her in her parent's closet. You can bet I called right away.Turns out it wasn't loaded, but it taught me to ask.

Answer by musicmaker at 1:01 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• No. I wouldn't let my kids be at a friend's house without me unless I trusted the parents, and if I trust the parents, then I would know that they would have any firearms, or anything else dangerous, properly stored and/or secured.

I also wouldn't answer the question if someone else asked me. It's none of their business if I have firearms - they are properly stored and secured, and cannot be accessed by children (and yes, I can say this with certainty - they are locked in a safe in a locked closet in a locked bedroom, the key to which cannot be accessed by the kids), so no one else needs to know whether or not I have them.

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:41 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• I wouldn't let my kid play at a house of someone I didn't know and trust. So there would be no need for me to ask.

Answer by kmath at 9:34 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• If I was not going with them to watch my kids, yes I would ask. I've never left my kids at someone else's house though, so it's never come up.

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2013