Pre-Diabetes is? And do you have to prick your finger for it?

I've been told I have type 2 Diabetes and then others say I have pre-Diabetes.How do I know which I have?Another confusing delima is,I take high blood pressure medicine and it's causing my blood sugar to go high ,when it's not?Any answers would be appreciated.

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 12:32 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Health

• 130 still only qualifies for diabetes if you did it w/o eating 8hrs. prior.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:53 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I've always suffered from low-blood sugar ,so when I heard I had high blood sugar ,I couldn't believe it.I took 2 blood tests while on the high blood pressure medicine,not a wise choice.But my first reading was 114 and then when I took a 3 hour fasting glucose test,it said 104.These tests were like months apart.What I want to know is how much can the blood pressure medicine make your sugar go up.When I took a fasting glucose test 10 years ago,it was 61,but I've certainly changed since that and gainned alot of weight and activity level has changed.Do I go ahead and say I'm a Diabetic because a number says so?
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 12:37 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• you should talk to your dr. about it but neither 114 or 104 mean that you are diabetic.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:43 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• 104 is a pretty normal fasting level, a little high but nothing to be overly concerned about. 114 is a prediabetes reading but if you only tested at 114 once again i wouldnt be too worried. talk to your dr. about it, tweek your diet a little and add a little physical activity if you dont do it already.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:46 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• sorry i just reread your question....114 is only a prediabetes reading if you do a true fasting glucose test (which is 8 hours after eating, not 3) Your levels really arent that high, but if your still concerned talk to your dr. about it.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:51 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Recently I had my finger pricked and the number was 130! All my doctors say,that the blood pressure medicine is not making my sugar go up...but it talks about it on the internet that it's possible, and that high blood pressure medicine can mask low blood sugar numbers.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 12:52 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• The only way to really settle this is to go to another doctor and have the 8 hour fast,plus 3 hours in the office drinking glucose to see if I'm low blood sugar still.I don't feel that bad. Normally I get really weak in my legs without eating meat,high protein food,then again this happens when I have been very physically active,I have not been lately..Still,I 'm starting to eat a Diabetic menu and it seems to work for me.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 12:59 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I was in a strange place during that 130 reading my blood pressure was off,it went way down and they took me off the pills.Can't say where I was but I figure the stress and that environment had something to do with it.130 is high and that's scary!
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 1:02 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I think the 130 was after breakfast .
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 1:05 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• SO,pRE-DIABETIC NUMBERS ARE and Diabetic ones are ? thanks I heard 160-200 and above are Diabetic
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 1:07 AM on Feb. 17, 2009