I have heard quite a lot of stuff in my lifetime, but this overt example of racism had me speechless!

So, me and dd went to McD's today because she was such a good girl and I needed to pass time and to run her excess energy out in the playland they had inside. I got lucky and was onlt 2 families inside. One family was interracial, wife was black and utterly beautiful with a white husband, and a completely adorable little girl who was my dd's age. The other was a single mom, she was black with a cute little boy about 6. The litte girl and the boy were playing and my dd joined in just having a ball! She was laughing and just enjoying herself. The couple and I were comparing personalities of our little girls. The single mom was texting and she had a 'feeling' going around her, that was just unpleasant. The other mom just looked at me and rolled her eyes and shook her head. Then the single mom looks up and see my dd and her son holding hands playing ring around the rosie. She took immediate offense, got up in a huff, grabbed her son's arm and dragged him out and looked at me like I just crawled out of a pile of shit, and said "come on son, you don't be needing to play with any bitchy little white girls, they are bad news!" I was completely stunned and astounded. Her little boy started crying cause he didn't want to leave, and she grabbed his arm hard enough her yelled out in pain and I think she may have pulled something because he had difficulty moving his arm to put on his shoes. My dd confused comes over to comfort him, and the mom pushes her away!!!!! I was PISSED! The other woman comes over, stops me and told the other woman to get the hell out of there. I looked at the single mom, and told her that her son was a better person than she is. And racism is a learned behavior. If looks could kill I would be dead! lol And if thoughts could kill, she would be killed a thousand times over.
I just couldn't believe it today. I have never been through something like that. I know the racial tensions have been pretty high on the account of what happening in Detroit and the state take over, but wow, that incident was completely uncalled for.
I do know this, some adults can learn a few things from watching our kids play. They do not let color dictate friendship or relationships. But on the brightside, I did make a new friend, and she has a daughter the same age as mine which is 4, and the husband has a lot of the same interests as my my husband. I see lots of playdates in our future!

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:42 AM on Apr. 24, 2013 in General Parenting

• That's horrible! It made my stomach turn. :( How sad that that little boy will be turned into a racist monster by his own mother. Hopefully as he grows up & starts forming his own opinions, he will realize how wrong his mother is. That's my hope anyway. A similar thing happened to my dau in school last year. She & 2 black girls were the last remaining students in a classroom spelling bee. When a 4th black girl had been eliminated, my dau & the other 2 girls exchanged high-fives. The girl who was just eliminated said to the other 2 girls, "Why would you want to touch a white girl's hand?!" My dau was hurt & confused by that comment since she has many friends of all races. Luckily this negative little girl moved & is not at her school this year.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:42 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• I would hope that in this day & age that the ugliness of racism would cease to exist, but it's obviously alive & well. I guess we have more work to do. :/
    mrsmom110

• some people are like that. I try not to let people like that get to me. in the end they always loose. No matter where you go or what you do there is always going to be someone a different race then you.
    That mom is just ignorant. I would have just asked what her problem was and had my daughter done something wrong.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 7:46 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• I pity that poor little boy, what an ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 9:29 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• How sad for her son to have to grow up and meet her standards. I hope he grows up to fall in love with and marry the strongest, bitchiest white woman he can find (not bitchy to him of course).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:02 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• WOW! My husband has been saying for years racism is going to change. Meaning, the black people now have a disgust for white people. Just when the white people have moved out of the shadows of some of their ancestors. The black people have moved into their ancestor's shadows. Very, VERY sad.
    ggsmom333

Answer by ggsmom333 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• Jesus, that's horrifying! I pity that little boy, who will learn from his own mother how to hate. At least your family made some new friends.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:34 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• Sad that people are like that. I hope her son's arm is ok
    the good news is that you guys made new friends : )
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:52 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• I am thinking of the little boy and hope his arm is ok.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:37 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• Yet another reason I stay far away from McD's. Not only is the food downright nasty (is it even real food?), but some of the trashiest people (of all races/colors) hang out there.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:08 AM on Apr. 25, 2013