how can i hurry labor up?

I'm 37 weeks and5 days along.My cervix is thined"and when i went to the dr. today he did a membrane sweep. I'm having contractions and they are getting stronger but still like 5-10 min apart.Any ideas on how to get things moving faster?Please help.

Nikki_91510

Asked by Nikki_91510 at 12:38 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I went to the hospital when my water started dripping, it didn't break until finally they broke it. They had me up walking, had me go in the shower and rub my nipples with a washrag. I know it sounds funny but thats what they had me doing. A friend of mine's doctor told her to go home and have sex. I don't know if any of this works, it didn't for me. But you never know!
    irishmaiden26

Answer by irishmaiden26 at 12:42 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• If your water hasn't broken yet have sex.

Other wise walk around, drink raspberry leaf tea and use gravity!!

Seriously though you should be using this time to rest for the more challenging part of labor to come.

When your contractions are 3-4 minutes apart for at least an hour and last 1 minute than it's time to go to the hospital if your planning to do so. If this is NOT your first baby (delivery not pregnancy) than you should go around 4 because second babies tend to come faster.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• something i will never do again.....

i read in this book that a couple hours of nipple sitmulation a day can bring on labor. i tryed it the other day nd lost my plug. now im having contractions 6 minutes apart. scared the crap outta me. just wait it out!
    Anonymous_J

Answer by Anonymous_J at 7:29 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• mama, your only 37 weeks, why not try to be a bit patient and wait for BABY to come when BABY is ready to be born? A full term pregnancy is 40 weeks, so it could still be a couple more weeks yet before your baby is ready to be born....I know the end sucks, ive been there 3 times! but try to think of whats best for your baby....its believed that when a baby is fully done developing that they secreet a hormone that brings on labor, hence the baby coming when HE/SHE is ready!

Good luck!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 2:19 PM on Feb. 17, 2009