Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

child support from another state?

my daughters father lives in AZ and I'm in NV, well i filed for child support the other day, my daughter is 1 year old, if he admits to being her father does he still have to do a paternity test? and what exactly happens, i have to go to court dates and stuff? does anyone know how this whole thing folds out step by step, it would be greatly appreciated, that way i don't seem to uneducated lol, thanks all

Answer Question

Asked by Trinity32188 at 12:47 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • I am from PA my x-husband is from Utah. I went through domestics to get my child support. They handled everything for me. I never stepped foot in court. The only thing that sucks, is since I filled with PA. They can't physically enforce the orders. I have to wait for Utah to find him and force him to pay. Some states work alot slower than others. If you get my drift. My x likes to address and job hop. LOL I think if the father doesn't dispute the claim of your child, you don't have to have a paternity test. If nothing else call your local domestics, they helped me understand what was going on. Hope this helps!

    Answer by irishmaiden26 at 12:58 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

  • My understanding is that some states have laws that it's mandatory for the paternity test unless the ex has signed the birth certificate already. My husband has an ex living in FL, we live in OK. My husband filed for divorce and got a lawyer, and she did not get a lawyer, so she was served w/ the divorce papers and signed it. I am not too positive as to how they divided everything up as to the assetts and stuff, or how they went about choosing who'd have custody, and when visitations would be and how much child support would be, I believe it was all paperwork that was mailed to her and she had to review it all and then fax it back to my husbands lawyer and then he typed up an actual divorce decree. I do know that the ex wife never once had to come back to OK for court or anything to that affect. She remained in FL the entire time. I do know they take both of your pay stubs and do a percentage to determine how much he'll pay u.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

  • also, we were never married and he never signed the birth certificate(he was in jail)

    Answer by Trinity32188 at 1:30 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

  • Since you were never married and he did not sign the BC, he has to take the test or sign the BC. If he just admits it today that doesn't mean he is going to admit it tomorrow or in the future. You need somthing on paper in black and white. Usually whoever you filed with will take care of everything for you. If you are in contact with the father my personal suggestion (from experience) is don't say more than you have to. I doubt that you'll both go to court since it isn't a custody case. If you just filed for CS throught the state you shouldn't be required to go to court or etc. You'll both just have a few papers to sign. Hope this helps

    Answer by Atticusmom06 at 4:30 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

  • My daughters father never signed the bc. He lived out of state and when it came time for child support he never took a dna, he simply signed a paper saying she was his. He lived i n illinois and we lived in Missouri.

    Answer by Alwaysacarnie at 9:16 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.