Do you keep money tucked away?

A few months ago, I made a decision to put $xx amount of money aside from each paycheck. It's a "secret" stash that only I know about - I haven't told dh. My purpose is this - I'm the bread-winner in the house and dh is always in and out of a job (he's out of one now). We are MAXED on credit cards and I felt we needed to have something tucked away in case of on emergency. I just checked the balance and I've met my goal! YAY!!!! So now the extra money I've been tucking away will be bee-lined toward the credit cards to get those paid down.

Have you ever had your own "secret" stash of money that only you know about? Is it wrong to keep it a secret from dh - although if he knew about it it wouldn't last long... he's a spender, I'm a saver

daylily888

Asked by daylily888 at 11:45 AM on Apr. 24, 2013 in Money & Work

• I think everyone needs a little bit for themselves. DH and I each get a little "mad money" each paycheck. I know he saves more than I do and his is in a savings/checking account. Mine is in cash. We each know where it is and we each know to ask the other if they my "borrow" Mine is borrowed more often because it is there but it is always returned.
    I suppose if you have someone who simply can not have a dollar to spare, a small stash might be a good idea.
    I will say this, if you spend the card down you need to close it and destry it or it will just be maxed again before you can blink an eye.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:52 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• I don't keep secrets from my husband, even for something good like that. I am the saver and he is the spender as well, but he is the breadwinner. I can usually talk him down from the spending cliff. He's not careless with the money, but I tend to be more of a hoarder of it than he is. LOL.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:53 AM on Apr. 24, 2013

• My DH and I are both savers so we've never needed to secretly stash money from each other. I can understand why you need to do it this way since you're not on the same page with each other. Congratulations on meeting your goal.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• My problem is I can't say no to him. I just don't have it in me. So if he knows it's there and asks to borrow, not only will it never be returned (and I don't loan money - I give it away), but I just don't have the ability to say no to the ones I love. A HUGE personal weakness and flaw, I know!
    I've paid my debt down completely only to run it back up because I couldn't say no. This time cards will be cut and destroyed and never to be applied for again!
    I'm a great saver - a "delayed gratification" extraordinaire! When I'm single I travel and enjoy life, but in a relationship, I, first of all, always choose someone who can't keep a steady income (I have yet to figure that one out), and second see it as a "team" effort, therefore what's mine is yours... so as I support my partner, I sacrifice what I know I'm capable of doing - saving and traveling or enjoying the adventurous things in life!
    daylily888

Comment by daylily888 (original poster) at 12:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• I agree that keeping secrets is a no no, but I can also understand your predicament, hope it doesn't backfire on you.....either way, your purpose for stashing is admirable....

Answer by older at 12:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• I don't keep secrets from my husband, but I did start stashing money away before I left my ex.

Answer by missanc at 12:09 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• The upside... I believe I have a failing crown. Had I not started saving there is no way I could afford the root canal I was told would be the next step when this crown was put on. The crown in under warranty for 7 more months, the root canal wouldn't be possible if I didn't have this money tucked away... WHEW!
    daylily888

Comment by daylily888 (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• My mother had one too, but my father always knew about it. I have one too, came in handy when my marriage ended.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:23 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• I have a savings account, but it's not a secret. A portion of each my pay checks goes into there as well as the "change" from my debit card purchases. The account is only in my name though. If my husband wants one too he can go right ahead and open one up for himself. I've almost always been the bread winner too, but I have no reason to hide the fact that I have money to pay off OUR bills/debts or any money I want to save for anything else. My husband could go screw himself if he tried to tell me what to do with the extra money I worked for.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:52 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• ALWAYS.
    I saved enough to leave my first husband by wrapping loose change for a year.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:04 PM on Apr. 24, 2013