What are effective startegies of discipline to use during the stage of , birth to 12 months?

how to discipline a child from birth to 3 years. i need help !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• WTH? Discipline from birth to 12 months? This is just stupid.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:04 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• What exactly do you need help with? How old is your child? There is no need to discipline a newborn and up to about 18 months except for....No don't put that in your mouth, No, don't put that into the socket and just constantly watching them. Then it's just a matter of staying consistant in what you want them to to do and not do. Of course every child will go through the stage of pushing your last button as my 2.5 yr old is doing right now, but consistancy and standing firm goes a long way.
    meetzycat

Answer by meetzycat at 1:05 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• No...actually it's not stupid. Its never too early to set boundries. There's a book I'm reading right now that discusses EXCELLENT forms of discipline that I will be using with my daughter. It's called, "Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood"...Practical Parenting from Brith to 6 Years!!! And it's written by Jim Fay & Charles Fay, Ph.D. Love, Love, LOOOVE this book! I can not WAIT to use some of the tools. YAY! ;o)
    mamakat21

Answer by mamakat21 at 1:08 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Other than saying no there really isnt much you can do at such a young age. A baby doesnt understand hitting/spanking. And often wont under stand why you are even saying no. But just keep saying it...also I like to use time out for my 15 month old, but if that does work (I allow three time outs) then I spank very lightly but she gets that I'm serious
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:12 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• why would you want to discipline a baby? i consider that child abuse. instead of disciplining, try TEACHING, you may have a better outcome by doing that.
    slymnsexsi30

Answer by slymnsexsi30 at 1:12 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• ya i dont get why you would wanna disipline a child younger than a year......thats not right!! they dont know..this is their learning stage..youre SUPPOSED to be there to teach not punish....no..is all you can really do, and thats just using it as a guidance so they dont hurt themselves..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:15 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• lmao!!! who said ANYTHING about discipline having to do with hitting or child abuse??? hahaha you people are so clueless!!! Try picking up a book once in a while. You might learn a thing or two! SHEESHKABOB!!!
    mamakat21

Answer by mamakat21 at 1:16 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I don't see how you can discipline a child that young... can they even really understand it at that age?? Sure if they touch something they shouldn't or put themselves in harm.... but to actually "discipline".... i dunno....

they are just trying to learn about the world around them... whats wrong in that?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:19 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• This was my reply to your same question in the other room.................

Lots of ways, read the book. It's actually very simple and makes alot of sence. Basically being repetative, kind, no anger, but stern...it's also all about giving the child SOME control over situations and giving them choices. It also teaches you, how to teach your child, that with every choice there's a consequence...good or bad And YES...you can teach that early. Babies are alot smarter than you give them credit for.
    mamakat21

Answer by mamakat21 at 1:24 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• lol mamakat did u read that in your book?...come back to us in 6 months and tell us how the "discipling" the infant worked for ya....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:29 AM on Feb. 17, 2009