Should a 4 year old know how to build puzzles?

I'm filling out yet another one of these sensory questionnaire surveys about my son and one of the questions is "Has difficulty putting puzzles together (as compared with other children of the same age)". My son definitely struggles with them, but not sure how that compares with other 4 year olds?

maecntpntz219

Asked by maecntpntz219 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 24, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• DS could do basic ones at 4, not sure what "normal" is for that age though.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:32 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• That's a ridiculous question. Every child is different in those kinds of abilities and to compare one with another is stupid. I have 7 grandchildren and had 3 children, and they all developed those skills at different ages.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:33 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• My 4 yo can very easily do 24 piece puzzles and we are working on 48 piece puzzles. From watching him in preschool I think he's about average in that area.

Answer by missanc at 12:35 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• I feel like most of these questions are ridiculous and many of the behaviors I'm "rating" are age related or even basic human instinct. Like "Covers ears against loud noises". WHO DOESN'T?
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• Having a child with autism, I know these surveys but its about levels of behavior. Is it within normal range or not? My oldest has special needs so when filling out the questionnaires I had nobody to compare him to, but now having 4 younger typical kids I can see what they were getting at usually.

Answer by missanc at 12:49 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• At four, my daughter couldn't yet put together a 24-piece puzzle. She has three of them that she still hasn't mastered at age five. She just doesn't want to sit still long enough to figure them out. I think it really varies from kid to kid.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:55 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• I hated those questions anyway. The visiting nurse from WIC used to fill them out for my daughter. Once when my daughter was nearly two, the nurse wanted to know if she could string big round wooden beads onto a shoelace. Instead, my daughter started putting the beads on her fingers and pretending to eat them like olives. I thought that was rather creative. I told the nurse my daughter was perfectly capable of stringing the beads if she wanted to, but she'd found something more interesting to do. Still, the nurse had to check "no" on the form because she hadn't seen my girl string the beads. Another time, she wanted to know if my daughter knew a hundred words. My daughter only knew 39 of the words on the specific list, so she scored 39, but she knew loads of words that weren't on that list and they didn't count.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:02 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• At 4 my daughter could easily put together an 18 piece puzzle...it would get more difficult the higher the pieces would go from there. She kind of got out of the puzzle thing for a while and is now 7 and is pretty good at 48 piece puzzles, but feels very overwhelmed with anything larger.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:28 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• That is a really vague question, doesn't even say what type of puzzle(how many pieces). At 4 my son(now 5) could easily put together a puzzle around 20 pieces, had been doing it since 2 and at 4 he would sit and do a puzzle with me(large number puzzles) he couldn't do it himself but could easily find some pieces while I built alongside him). he could do 48 piece puzzles alone as well.

BUT he is a very detail oriented kid, he has no problem sitting still and doing small detail tasks, he enjoys it. While other kids don't they like to be up and moving etc. So they wouldn't seem to have the same skill, different kids different traits.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:35 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• Well my dd loves puzzles though. But if the child no interest in them their opportunity to them is not as interested as other children. My dd has always loved puzzles and so she can so alot of them. But there other things she is still learning. Those surveys can't really show you the big picture because every child is so different and develops in their own way and is smart in their own way.
    libramoon007

Answer by libramoon007 at 10:15 PM on Apr. 24, 2013