Renting a car

So I'm looking into adding car rental with my plane tickets. Would it be cheaper for me to do this or rent a car on its own? I've never rented a car before so I kind of don't know what I'm doing thanks.

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 3:13 PM on Apr. 24, 2013 in Travel

• Priceline.com, they can get you a very good deal, have you purchased the plane tickets yet?
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 3:15 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• Price it out both ways. Sometimes those packages can save you a ton of money. We booked ours as a vacation package with flights, car, and condo, and we saved a lot of money.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:17 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• No I was looking them up right now and what I'd pay for the tickets by themselves they are saying I can get the sme price but with a car. So in my eyes that's a good deal lol but I wasn't sure.
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• advantage is good. We rented our car for $5 a day and it was a brand new Chevy too. Only down fall is the $200 hold on it.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:18 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• How will I know if I need a deposit? Will it say as I purchase the tickets or when I get the car?
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 3:23 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• You have to ask them.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:50 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• Or read the terms and conditions when you secure the car.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:51 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• They will require a deposit when you pick up the car. You'll need a credit card (use a credit card instead of a bank/debit card, as they hold the funds, thus tying up whatever is in your account until a few days after you return it when the hold is released from the bank).

Read all the fine print if you purchase you ticket with the rental car - make sure you know what you are getting into and there are no additional hidden fees.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 3:52 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• Everything is usually cheaper when you bundle it.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:58 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• Be prepared to pay a deposit. They're almost always required by car rental companies now. Also, be sure to read the contract because it will probably be a lot less expensive for you to fill the rentalcr with gas before you return it. My boyfriend made the mistake of returning the car with half a tank, and the price per gallon we were charged for the gas could have filled the silly old Ford with premium rocket fuel!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2013