HELP WIT MY DAUGHTER LEARN????!!!!

I TRY TO TEACH MY DAUGHTER DIFFERENT THINGS: ABC'S, NUMBERS, WRITE HER NAME, AND ALL BUT WHEN I TRY SHE JUST GETS OUT OF CONTROL AND DOESNT WANNA DO ANYTHING....SHOULD I JUST LEAVE HER ALONE UNTIL SHE GOES TO PRESCHOOL OR WAT SHOULD I DO?

602_MAMA_OF_2

Asked by 602_MAMA_OF_2 at 1:20 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I say leave her alone...........I have tried with my son the ABC's, counting, writing.............he does not want anything to do with it, so I just let it be......and I will make games up that involve counting and I also do the same for ABC.......He has acullay gotten better with this type of "learning". He can say his ABC up to G no mistakes and count to 7 .........so I say they will learn .
    tambam75

Answer by tambam75 at 1:26 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I would say that yes have you ever met anyone that can't say there abc's or 123's eventually? I would definitely have to agree that you shouldnt force it on them, just periodically maybe be like "how many dogs do you see?" Or "what color is that banana?" not necessarily sit them down at the table and say ok "let's work on our counting!" they might just freak out and leave or act up. Give them time heck that's what schools for too! Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Definately let it happen on her own time. When kids are really young, their attention spans are all over and you can not force her to just take everything in that you are trying to teach her and know things right away. Play games with her and sing songs involving the ABC's and counting too....kids love that! When she eats an apple, say "A is for Apple", when she plays with a ball, say "B is for ball", etc. Have fun with it and she will have fun too and you never know, she may pick things up and start singing the ABC's one day!
    mommylovesthree

Answer by mommylovesthree at 1:46 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• THANK YOU GIRLS FOR THE HELP AND I FOR SURE WILL DO THE SONGS AND OBJECTS WIT THE I APPRECIATE THE HELP....
    602_MAMA_OF_2

Answer by 602_MAMA_OF_2 at 3:32 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Stop trying to TEACH her and play with her. Use blocks, books, refrigerator magnets, foam tub letters...whatever but don't "teach".

Recognition is much more important than learning a song. Sorry...but knowing how to sing the ABC song is not knowing your letters. It's knowing the "words" to a song.

While she's playing with blocks, as she stacks a block on top say "Cool! You're putting the 'T' block on top!" "How about we find the "A" block now?" Incorporate the colors, too.

Coloring books and crayons...as she's coloring her alphabet tell her, "What a good job coloring your letter A blue! you're doing great" Little things like that is what will get her to recognize her letters...also working on colors. Do the same things with numbers and shapes, too.

Once they recognize letters and numbers then start working on the order.

Or..wait. There are a lot of kids in my sons class who didn't know even the basics.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:15 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I'd let her be, too. I tried to do a structured thing with my son when he was 4 because we couldn't afford preschool and it upset him so much he would dissolve into tears every day. It was too much for him. He's in 1st grade and struggling to read but I really don't think that has anything to do with not learning his ABCs when he was 4. He's just one of those kids that doesn't get reading (but he's progressing slowly). I never did any of that stuff with my next kid either and she is in kidndergarten now, knows all her letters and is wanting to learn to read.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:18 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• How are you trying to 'teach' her? Kids this age learn best through experience and play. Play games, sing songs, read books. Don't "teach." I agree with TiccledBlue - you can include letter recognition (which is MUCH more important than being able to recite the song) in your every day FUN activities. Play hide and seek in the bath with foam bath letters. Hide the letter A under some bubbles and ask her to find it. Build with blocks. Ask her to draw with you and then write her name for her on the top of the page - spelling it out as you write it. Don't force learning. Make it something she enjoys doing. Play hide and seek - she'll learn to count quickly that way. Have her hide and then count to 10 LOUDLY. Before you know it, she'll be counting to 10. When she can, you start counting to 20. Play "I Spy" and spy shapes, colors, letters, numbers, etc. She'll get it.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:07 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• also wanted to add that it's OK *NOT* to know all the basics at this age- don't stress her or you over this! In many school districts, letter recognition is *STILL* a core component of kindergarten curriculum.

Let your daughter set the pace at this point. See what she's interested in and provide her opportunities to explore that! IF she's fascinated by flowers, help her plant her own flower garden. Teach colors, numbers, letter sounds as you go "Which flowers do you want to plant first? The orange ones or the pink ones? Let's count the plants as we put them in the ground. This plant is a marigold. See the tag? Marigold starts with he letter M...mmm, mmm. mmm. M sounds like mmm. Marigold."

Is she fascinated by stars? spend time at night admiring the stars, finding constellations. Let her find "shapes" in the stars or the clouds during the day. Find letters in nature. Yesterday we went hiking and found a "W" tree. DD loved it
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:11 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I think that you should make it fun. Also, you might want to brush up on your English skills.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• >Also, you might want to brush up on your English skills.

Wow! Why do people think being online makes it ok to criticize someone else. Back off. She asked a question. Help with the question if you can. If you can't, then walk away quietly.
    Anonymous