How to cope, I want to start a family, but husband is never home!

My husband and will be married one year this June, and moved to a new area shortly before the wedding. I have no friends and family here, and I'm currently unemployed (I was teaching before we moved). I really want a baby, but I'm afraid that I will end up like a single mom with his work schedule. He leaves at 5:30Am and comes home at 10:00PM many nights. I'm starting to get lonely and depressed..any advice?

futuremom1978

Asked by futuremom1978 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 24, 2013 in Relationships

• Get out of the house & find some activities. Even if it's just exploring your new area.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:35 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• If I were you I would get a job full time while you are trying to pregnant since you never know how long it will take you to get pregnant. May as well make some money in the mean time & keep your sanity.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:36 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• Could you substitute teach for a while? Or maybe teach summer school?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:45 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• Maybe look into working at a preschool or daycare so you can meet other people in your area. That might get you a baby fix until you and your DH can get your schedules to work together.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:54 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• Do not rely on a baby to make you happy. YOU need to make you happy. Get out in the sunshine. Break out of your comfort zone. Say hi to a friendly face.
    KPBMom

Answer by KPBMom at 7:06 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• Tell him what you want. Tell him you will start without him if he doesn't do his duty! (ok that was a joke) Did you talk about kids before you got married? Maybe he's working hard now so he can slow down and help when you do have a family. It's possible his financial time line isn't ready for a family yet. Discuss it with him! Maybe you can find a part time job until you can get back to work as a teacher again.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:28 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• How did you end up moving to a place where you have no job, no friends, no family? Have you been looking for work with no luck, or intentionally not working?

Why so many hours for him? Is he a medical resident or something like that?

Answer by gdiamante at 1:01 AM on Apr. 25, 2013