• In the Spotlight:

Guns?

What age do you think it good to teach a child how to use a gun or rifle?

Not saying teach them about guns and safety. But how to shoot and handle a gun?

Asked by louise2 at 9:30 PM on Apr. 24, 2013 in General Parenting

• I would say it depends entirely on the child.

I have a son that would probably do just fine at 7 years old. But I also have one who is a clown! I am not sure he will be ready at an early age to treat the gun as seriously.

I would say you would need to be able to trust that you child would follow directions, be responsible, and understand the seriousness of it.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:29 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• DS is 7 and has been shooting guns since last year. He is almost as good a shot as I am. He just doesn't have the strength to shoot anything bigger than a .22 without help. He has grown up around guns, both his father and I own them. He knows they aren't toys and he knows not to touch one if he sees it. I wasn't thrilled when his dad started taking him out shooting, but his dad grew up the same way and he started shooting at 5. DS goes out hunting with his dad now.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:14 AM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Here in PA they can take the hunter's safety course at age 12.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:51 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• I learned to shoot a gun at age 5. With my son, I don't know..we don't really do guns.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:59 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• My ex learned as a teenager, but he lived in a rural mountain area where there was hunting, and his family depended on the meat he and his dad and brothers shot. My boyfriend now has not taught his nearly grown children, which I think is fine since they live in the suburbs and haven't shown an interest. I wouldn't force my daughter to learn, but if she wanted to, I wouldn't have an issue with my ex teaching her once she was a responsible teenager or an adult.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• Depends on the situation. I learned about guns when I was arounf 5. I learned to shoot a bow and arrow around 8 with accuracy and then I am guessing I was around 10 when I shot my first rifle. I was taught about knives at about 5 by six I had my very own pocket knife.
    I would say I was closer to fifteen before I could hit a target with some amount of reliable accuracy. I was doing snares by 7ish. and ould tie most basic knots by the same time. I had some experience in wrestling as well.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:58 PM on Apr. 24, 2013