Made tamales for the first time..

The Were Delicious!!! I have been wanting to make them for a long time, but was intimidated. They weren't as difficult as I thought, the pork was in the slow cooker for 6 hours, oh so tender and good, the masa had me terrified but I had a friend give me tips and tricks. What is something you have wanted to make, but were too intimidated to?

cassie_kellison

Asked by cassie_kellison at 9:47 PM on Apr. 24, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I used to work with someone whose grandmother would make dozens and she'd bring them in for us. It's not so much intimidation as the bar was set really high - some foods you just can't make better than someone's grandma. Even the local "authentic" Mexican places don't get them close (they should hire their grandmothers).

My intimidating thing was French onion soup, and once we did it, realized how stupid simple it is, so we have it all the time, now.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:22 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• They look awesome! I bought husks to make tamales probably 6 months ago & still haven't made them! Something else I've been wanting to make for a long time, tiramisu.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 9:48 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• I was intimidated to make tamales the first time too. But they turned out really great and we make them more regularly now.
    lacyd75

Answer by lacyd75 at 9:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• My family always used to make 35 or 40 dozen tamales for Christmas, and they'd be gone by New Year's, between gift-giving and big appetites. They're way easier to do if you have several people and can make an assembly line. Some to flatten the masa on the soaked husks, some to add the meat and chili sauce, and some to roll and tie. We'd always make a party out of it, which Christmas music and lots of snacks and cookies. Nowadays everybody has gotten too busy, so the family usually pitchesin and buy from a little local hole-in-the-wall that specializes in tamales and homemade tortillas.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:55 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• Very cool ,I am jealous.

Our housekeeper taught me how....tried poor woman....LOL....mine taste ok ,her tamales are divine ,mine look like oddly shaped lumps her tamales are pretty.She and her mom sell a ton around Christmas...let's just say she is in no danger of losing us as customers for her tamales...EVER.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 12:43 AM on Apr. 25, 2013