Reagan...BOY or GIRL

When you hear the name "Reagan," do you automatically think BOY or GIRL?

My brother's wife is due in another month or two or three (honestly no clue...haven't talked to him in years). They are having a boy and plan to name him Reagan (after Ronald Reagan). When my mother told me this, I laughed and told her that she needs to tell him to watch The Exorcist since the possessed girl is named Ragen and, as a first name, I have only heard it used for girls. Mind you, my brother is ridiculously homo-phobic. The very thought that a boy would play with a doll or wear something pink or purple makes him go on a rampage about how that would "turn him gay"...so even the idea that he plans to name his son what I believe most would consider a girls' name is hilarious to me. Ugh...should have waited until after the kid was born because our mother may have told him and they may have changed their mind.

So anyway, what do you think...boy or girl name?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 11:43 PM on Apr. 24, 2013 in Baby Names

• What struck me as juvenile was someone actually still believing that playing with a doll or wearing pink or purple would make a little boy turn gay. Really? It's 2013, and people still believe this? *Eye roll.* Ya can't fix stupid!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:04 AM on Apr. 25, 2013

• ive heard it more for girls, but i wouldnt think twice about a hearing it for a boy. id assume girl till corrected tho.

and as someone who has a brother as stubborn in his stupid ways as yours sounds (the whole pink makes boys gay idea) i would laugh at this too. its what siblings are for haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:22 AM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Girl. And if your mother doesn't tell your brother and they use the name, PLEASE come back and give us a detailed description of his reaction when he finds out lol!!! I could use some juvenile humor in my life!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:29 AM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Boy
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:48 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• I think of a girl when I hear the name Reagan. But, spelling it this way could absolutely qualify for a boy.
    Anonymous

• I've only ever heard it as a girl's name, but I suppose it could be used for either.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:50 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• What Kristi said.

I remember when I first heard Reagan used as a girl's name. I thought it was weird that someone would use a boy's name for a girl. Now it's used more for girls than boys, but is considered gender neutral.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:51 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• I know both boys and girls with the name Reagan or Regan. I think it's truly unisex. I automatically think of the President. If he has problems with that name, why don't you tell him try another name? Ryan is a good name that is both traditional and modern. There's no confusion about that name. Your brother needs to wake up. A name is not going to prevent homosexuality.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:52 AM on Apr. 25, 2013

• It's a gender neutral name though originally it was a BOY's name meaning "Little King". and your reaction was rather juvenile.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:46 PM on Apr. 24, 2013

• I have always heard girls having the name. But they can name their child with this one too.
    Congratulations to the couple!!
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 24, 2013