How do I get my 1 & 2 year old from hitting each other??

Was curious if anyone has any good ideas on how to stop my 14 month old girl and my boyfriends 2 year old girl from hitting and smacking each other? They will just walk up and smack each other for no reason and then the one was got hit will start hitting the other. I have tried sitting them in time out and explaining it is wrong but i think they are to young to understand. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The good news is that most children outgrow hitting and biting between ages three and five. But they don't stop all by themselves; parents must teach children how to handle frustration or their violent behavior could become a permanent personality trait. "Aggression can start becoming a stable characteristic as early as three years of life, and aggressive behavior is even more stable if it is persistent in a seven-year-old. This doesn't mean that all aggressive children will be violent when they are older. It simply means that children who have not learned to control aggressive tendencies within the first three to seven years of life are more likely to be violent as adolescents and young adults," Scholer explains.

*** I found this on this website just copy and paste it, hope this helps! ***

http://www.huggieshappybaby.com/info/lib/articles/article.aspx?category_id=10&article_id=10&imgCat=Stepping+Thru+Stages§ion=lib
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• this never failed for me! seperate them, in a stern voice, tell them this is bad, not acceptable. ( "oh boy this is so wrong on so many levels") then make them hug! nomatter how much they scream and cry. teaches "I've got a beef with you, i will tell you and then we can go on. hugs ussualy turn into wrestling matches. thats ok. there playing and bonding. advice from exs. I HAVE A PEACEFULL mind, the kids don't hound me to resolve their spats. ME.
    tabytha

Answer by tabytha at 5:35 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I used to bite my little sister and no matter how much my mom yelled at me or sprayed my throat with cloraseptic (it was supposed to hurt) I never stopped, so one day she just got super pissed after I bit my sister so she BIT ME! My mom bit my arm really hard.

I never bit my sister ever again. Haha.. It sounds terrible, but it worked!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Feb. 17, 2009