What can i put on a sticker/reward chart for an almost 7 yr old boy?

jamiehamby82

Asked by jamiehamby82 at 9:20 AM on Apr. 25, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do you mean in terms of motivation? What does said 7 year old like?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:29 AM on Apr. 25, 2013

• yes motivation to do things without being asked....he has a bearded dragon and he likes cartoons and video games and playing with our puppy outside
    jamiehamby82

Comment by jamiehamby82 (original poster) at 9:33 AM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Then maybe give him an amount of time for playing video games as a reward (assuming he doesn't just get to do that at will). Like after so many stickers earned he gets 30 minutes of game play. I'm not sure how you could incorporate the animals into the fold, other than using them as responsibilities for him to take care of and opportunities to earn stickers.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:45 AM on Apr. 25, 2013

• I have a sticker rewards chart for my 7 year old son.

(He started slacking with his handwriting in school, he hated writing so he went from good handwriting to sloppy unreadable) This chart I reward him when he started bringing home papers with good handwriting. There are 20 squares to fill in with stickers. when he fills all of them in he will get 5 dollars. He likes earning money to save so it's a good reward.

For reading: For every minute he reads he can have a minute of video game time. He tries to read for an hour to get an hour of game play. 20-30 minutes of reading is homework from school anyway.

To get my son to do his "duties" without me asking him I bought a white board (erasable) I wrote the days on there. On the left are a list of chores with different colored dots for each chore. Then i put that color of dot on the days he's supposed to do them. Red dot is feed his pet it's on every day. purple is room, 3day
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Having the whiteboard calendar has helped my 7 year old so much. When in doubt he can go see what's expected of him. He knows that every day when he gets off school or wakes up on the weekends he should look at that calendar to see what he needs to do. After reminding him here and there it has become a part of his routine.

I think it also helps them become more independent, and proud that they are taking care of their responsibilities without the directions from mom and dad.

I find myself nagging far less.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• payjr.com is a site that you can go to that will give you a printable chore and allowance list. When he is 13, you will be able to get a reloadable prepaid card. That will allow him to have spending money and have budgeting and track spending.
    ohioblessed4

Answer by ohioblessed4 at 2:30 PM on Apr. 25, 2013