Aust Shep puppy, 12 weeks, nips and bites our 2, 4, and 6 yr olds.....

How can I get her to stop? she also gets angry and snappy when they get around her while shes eating....she seems so young to be doing these things....what do I do?

jamiehamby82

Asked by jamiehamby82 at 9:52 AM on Apr. 25, 2013 in Pets

• Keep your kids away from her, she's letting them know they are bothering her. Gt her a crate to sleep in so she's protected, teach them to let her be while she eats but you need to work on food agression with her before it gets to bad.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:00 AM on Apr. 25, 2013

• It can also be play if she's engaging, all puppies like to chew. D you have chewy toys for her? If not get her some and when she starts chewing give her the toy instead.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:02 AM on Apr. 25, 2013

• I suggest getting a book on Australian Shepherds, the nipping is part of puppy hood and the herding instinct. DO you know how old she was when she left her mom and siblings? Because those 9 weeks are really important for the mom and siblings to tech each other manners, so that might be something. So far this all seems like puppy behavior.
    As for the food aggression this is Never tolerated. So you need to look up the best ways to teach her not to be aggressive, I suggest some of Cesar Milan's methods.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:03 AM on Apr. 25, 2013

• she's a puppy... Plus about 3-4 months is when they start teething. Maybe get her a teething bone. I bought 2 for my puppy for only $4 at walmart.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:04 AM on Apr. 25, 2013

• ...not have a dog with such little kids?

I don't understand why you think it's a problem with the puppy- she is a PUPPY
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:29 AM on Apr. 25, 2013

• She's a puppy and puppies nip plus she's a herding dog and they will nip.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 11:51 AM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Not only is she a puppy its the breed thats a herding breed and you just happen to have a herd of kids for it to use that instinct on. Did you chose this breed after research? Maybe a American Pit bull terrier would have been better there one of the best family dogs especially around small kids. Theres many family breeds Australian Shepherds arnt one of them lol. Crate training is a good start. You also have to remember to train you kids how ever bad that sounds. Desensitize your dog to food and kids make shure you have the kids great the puppy with a treat so the dog goes kids good kids mean treat. Its easy you can do it but next time maybe chose your pet more wisely for your kids ages.

(Family owns them all on farms)
    LostInMyMind

Answer by LostInMyMind at 12:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Nipping is normal behavior for herding breeds. I have two border collies and an Aussie of my own (all female) and they all behaved that way as puppies. I just smacked them with a shoe when they started that crap. It's the herding instinct. I have sheep and cows so they get an outlet for that behavior. Tell the kids to be careful about running around the dog, especially until she's trained. When they run, it's her instinct to move them where she wants them. When Lucy (My aussie) was a pup, she wouldn't let my niece leave the porch when she was playing outside. She decided that the yard was too dangerous, I guess, and, If my niece tried to venture too far away from me, she would nip her back to my side. DO NOT ACCEPT THE BEHAVIOR JUST BECAUSE IT IS NATURAL!!! It can turn into aggression if you are not careful.
    Cowgirl_Coyote

Answer by Cowgirl_Coyote at 12:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Did you learn anything about this kind of dog before you bought it? You need to learn and fast. Yo must also teach your children that the dog has rights too and one is the right to their food, undisturbed. As they get older you can train a dog to know that you own the food and they must not bite even if you take the food right out of their moth. Aussies do not learn this lesson well and frankly I would not attempt teaching anything except that they must wait until you put down the food and not to attack if someone is near.
    You also need to teach your child that this dog has the right totime alne or in the family but not disturbed. The dog is not a toy. It has feelings and a mind of its own.
    Aussies are herding animals and very protective of "their" humans. Mine would make sure my kids stayed in the yard. She would herd them and if they did not obey she would nip at the ankles. Training with someone who knows aussies
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:14 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• You can try putting lemon juice on your kids' hands and arms, since the dog wont like the taste. Also, when the puppy nips, always say "No!" and nothing else--don't make the dog pick the displeasure wordout of a whole tirade. Then, instead of pulling away, push your hand into the dog's mouth further, which is against your instincts but it will make her let go. When she learns to sit, which is a must--obedience classes will help a lot--make her sit before you put her food down for her, and stay sitting till you say "okay" or pat your leg, keep one consistent signal so she knows when she can eat. This will curb food aggression. Also, keep your kids away from her while she's eating, and teach them not to get in her face or be too rough. Kids tend to step or jump on dogs, then think they can say "sorry" like we teach them to do, an then they don't understand why the dog doesn't immediately forgive them and move on.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:45 PM on Apr. 25, 2013