Anyone else make up songs for their kid(s)?

There's a commercial that sings "Who's that lady?" and I sing my 9mo old DD "Who's that baby?"

Then my DH sings to her "My mommy's milk brings all the babies to the yard..." He makes her dance to it. :-D

Then there is my son's favorite Kindergarten song that I changed for them by putting their names in it. "There was brother Damon swinging in a tree, teasing baby sister saying 'can't catch me.' Along came Aubrey quiet as can be...and grabbed her brother right out of the tree." She loves it. She dances to everything so it makes it more fun.

ThatBoysMom

Asked by ThatBoysMom at 10:15 AM on Apr. 25, 2013 in Entertainment

• All the time! My oldest has autism and when he was little one of the things that helped him a lot were songs that signaled what time it was. I had a song I made up "socks and shoes, socks and shoes, everybody needs their little socks and shoes" when we were getting ready to leave and he knew to sit on the bottom step so I could out his shoes on, same thing with meals, bedtime, bath time, etc. We had songs for everything because he responded to tunes better than words.

Answer by missanc at 10:44 AM on Apr. 25, 2013

• DD is named Lydia. I didn't love the name at 1st, so I made up a song to help me get used to it:

Lydia
    Lydia
    Look and Little Lydia
    I Like Looking at Lydia
    Lydia is so beautiful [ah]
    I Like Looking, I Like Looking
    At Lydi a a a
    I Like Looking
    At Lydia
    Yeah!

Now everyone in the whole house sings it. Lydia will be 3 in June.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• I made up a few versus to the tune of "You Are My Sunshine' when DD was a baby. Still sing it to her occasionally.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:48 AM on Apr. 25, 2013

• I've made up a few songs for my kids. My youngest DD loves "Silly Monkey" that goes to the tune of "Frere Jacques".
    And, my completely original "Bee Bop" song.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:52 AM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Yes, been singing to my daughter's newborn baby girls and she is mesmerized.......

Answer by older at 11:56 AM on Apr. 25, 2013

• I still do. My daughter is five, but I find that making up songs helps her deal with frustrating situations. She hates the big loud lawn mowers in our condo complex, always has. Recently instead of shutting the house up when they came around, which is what she usually wants to do, I made up these words to "Frere Jacques", which really helped her lighten up:

I don't like it! I don't like it!
    It's too ud! It's too loud!
    Silly noisy lawn mower, silly noisy lawn mower,
    Go away Go away!

She got so caught up in singing she forgot to be rattled by the loud noises outside.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Always have and still do! We sing about cooking and I like to talk in a different accent while preparing something . I also make up words for everyday stuff. My kids have more nicknames then they can remember and songs to go with each one! If there is something to sing about, I'll find it!
    ggsmom333

Answer by ggsmom333 at 2:45 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Yeah- I used to do that- though I don't remember any of them specifically (my kids are teens now)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:17 AM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Yes, when my oldest was a baby I made up a song about giving kisses... just a silly little tune, but Ive sung it to all my boys. And now Im singing it to my grandchildren. Who knew??? LOL
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:11 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Yes, I admit it. I made up songs all the time.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:37 PM on Apr. 25, 2013