super smart babies!

so do any of you ladies have super smart babies? i've been seeing commercials on tv about babies who can read and can recite flash cards, it sounds crazy but i think it would be so awesome if its possible. i'm not a very good reader and i know how embarrassing it was through school and how hard it is sometimes so i would love to give my son a jump start on excelling with his skills, so any advice! i'm very interested in this, by the way my son is a little over 6 months old:)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• And for your question...not super smart...

My oldest (5 years) is doing some reading and is very interested in science. He is also doing some basic math (4+5 kind of problems). He has recognized his letters, numbers, shapes and colors (even some more obscure ones) since 18 months when he was holding full conversations. He has been tested and is advanced.

My second (3 years) is sounding out words and is very interested in spelling and writing (which he started doing at 2 1/2). He has recognized his letters, numbers, shapes and colors (knowing how to mix orange and purple even) since a little older than 18 months. He was slightly delayed with speech and still has articulation problems. He has been tested and is 2 years advanced.

My youngest (2) recognizes his letters and numbers up to 10. He can't be bothered with his colors lol. He kicks butt on shapes recognizing trapezoid, parallelagram, octagon, pentagon...

Play.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:55 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i have seen these commercials too and its amazing right!! i am have tempted to give it a try...

my neice is super smart... blows my mind sometimes....

your son is a little young to try that... but when he gets a little older...why not? shoot let me know if it works... i will do it too :) lol
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:22 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I dont' know about the extra smart babies. But as for me I was a good reader as a child. I was read books as a baby, and when I could read I did that too. I think exposure to books makes all the difference. A book a day is definitely worth your time at this age. You'll be creating a love for reading in your child that will grow with her/him to adulthood.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:23 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• That baby can read stuff is CRAP. It makes kids memorize how a word LOOKS. It doesn't teach spelling, it doesn't teach phonics or how to sound a word out. It's a gimmic to get money from moms.

Sit and read to your baby. Play with your baby. Use building blocks, use puzzles, use toys...whatever is around...to teach colors, numbers, letters, shapes, etc.

It's not a jump start on reading skills. When they get to school, they're going to have more trouble because in school they'll be taught phonics and they won't "get" it.

Someone posted on a question like this yesterday...what are they going to do when they see the word "motorcycle" and it's not one that has been on a stupid flash card? They won't have a clue how to sound it out.

It doesn't "create" super smart babies. It teaches them to memorize the shape of something..It's NOT reading.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:45 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I was quite smart as a baby from the age of 2 i would be reading by myself and moving up to a higher level all the time. I loved puzzles and would spend hours just re-doing them. Things like that came easy to me but i hated maths. My secind oldest son (is 6) and he is extremely smart for his age, he has a photographic memory (or eidetic memory) which is extremely rare, he has exceled in everything including sports and  me and his father are so proud of him. He is only in 1st grade but his teachers are thinking of moving him up, whereas my other boys are doing quite well aswell but just nrmal development.

Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 8:29 AM on Feb. 17, 2009