Age Gaps

Do you think that a 33 year old man dating a 22 year old woman that there could possibly be a good connection and have a worthwhile relationship?

What do you think the biggest age gap between a couple should be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• It depends on the individuals involved, my dh and I have been together since I was 20, I'm 41 now, and he is now 60. he was only 39 when we met but looked 29. and I looked 25. We were intellectually and spiritually matched. Emotionally because I never like facing the likelyhood of being a youngish widow I wish we were closer in age but that is the only reason. the age gap you mention isn't that big.
    Imamom4sure

Answer by Imamom4sure at 2:49 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I honestly don't think that's a bad age gap, OP.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• --OP HERE-- I guess the problem is that a lot of the people I suround myself including family have a problem with it. But I am a young mom I work I go to school full time the "men" that are around my age just dont know how to deal with how independent I am and how hard I work. They also I think are just flat out scared of the whole "kid" situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• nah age is a number nothing more or less
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 3:01 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• WOW I WAS 21 AND MY HUSBAND WAS 32 WE HAVE BEEN TOGETHER FOR 15 YEARS I THINK IT IS FINE WE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM !!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• depends on the couple involved.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:54 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• my dh is 11 years older then me. I have always beleived that if you are both adults and love each other. (not treating the one like a child) then it doesn't matter we are celebrating our 6th wedding anniversary this year and are a perfect example of this.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 7:17 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i'd be more concerned with how well he treated you and your child(ren), how well you 'fit' mentally/intellectually, than the age gap. some times other people have valid reasons for being wary of such things, sometimes not. bottom line: how do you feel about the age gap? its not a huge one, though at 22, it may seem like it. but you are a mother, so you're already different than a non-mother 22 yo. if there aren't any doubts about this guy, in your gut, then go with it! enjoy it! he's probably 'over' the partying that your 22yo male-counterparts are right in the middle of experiencing. just make sure he treats you with respect, and knows you're child comes first!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:32 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Me and my husband haven't got a big age difference im older than him by 7months. A close friend of my mothers is 45 and is dating/living with a man of 27. So about 18 years difference but it doesn't bother them and to us they are clearly very in love, they have been dating for about 5 years now. It is definatly a number.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 7:58 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I think the older and wiser you are the less age differences are a factor. While you may be emotionally on the same level as someone 10, 15, 20 years older or younger than you, when you first start dating/get married, if the younger person hasn't had the opportunity to date others, live on their own, travel, establish a career, or do any of the other things their older partner has done, they may soon grow apart.

Of course, there are MANY successful "May December" relationships out there, but, I think the older the couple is, the better it will be.

My husband's best friend is 48, and is about to marry (for the FIRST time) his girlfriend of 7 years...she is 28, and honestly, I think he treats her like she's his daughter! Perhaps thats what works for them, and I wish them all the best, but it certainly wouldn't work for me! My hubby is 6 years older than me and we married (1st time for both) when we were 32 & 38 years old.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:18 AM on Feb. 17, 2009