How do I stop my 5 yr old from pooping in his bedroom

Asked by travler007 at 3:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just curious but where does he poop at? Does he poop in his pants or actually poop somewhere in his room? Does he have any developmental delays?

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• If it was JUST a pooping in his room issue, with no other factors (development delays), then I'd have him clean it every time he did it. You might have to redo it when he is not around, but I'd have him clean every part of it to scrubbing the carpet with a brush and some cleanser. However, this is only if his pooping is due to being too lazy to go to the bathroom, too occupied with his toys, etc. Show him that dealing with the mess takes more effort than doing it right in the first place.

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• At 5 you might want to consult with your pediatrician rule out any biological factors.

Outside of that young potty trained children have accidents here and there. That is normal. You have to remember when talking to your 5 year old their thought process is not the same as an adult.

I don't think making him clean it himself will "teach him a lesson" Plus a five year old trying to clean it himself will end up being more work for you.

Without knowing how often he does this, where he does it, if he's asleep etc. I cant give much more. ;)

hope it gets better soon.

Answer by Skepticchick at 4:06 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Talk to his doc and if its nothing medical.....Then I would spank him. Sorry kids who are five should be well potty trained and they do understand about going to the bathroom and he could be doing it for attention. My daughter was 2 and getting up in the middle of the night and using the restroom by herself.

Answer by Fairymom32 at 1:38 AM on Apr. 29, 2013