How to get my son to try to read more to me instead of me to him all the time?

My son is almost 6 and he can read fairly well, small beginning reader books- nothing amazing, just right on track I guess. How do I encourage him to try to read more on his own- I don't mean alone but I mean read to me instead of me reading to him all the time? Do I do a reward chart for numbers of books read with a reward?? He LOVES looking at books and the pictures but he just isn't interested in making the effort I guess to read the words.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Apr. 25, 2013 in General Parenting

• When I would read to my daughter when she was little, I would read all the left side pages, and she would do all the right. I made it fun by doing silly voice, and encouraging her to do silly voice so she would look forward to reading her page. Good luck.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 4:38 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• My son was like that and I think most students who read a lot at school are like that as well. They like to be read to. You may want to try Parent/Child books. The child reads one page and the parent reads the next page. You can buy these types of books or you can just to that with any book. I would start there and then do you read one day and he reads the next. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• I did the same as the pps, my child read a page then I read the next one. As they got older we would switch at chapters instead of pages. But I still read to mine and they are in 6th and 7th grades!

Answer by missanc at 5:01 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• My daugher is five and only just starting to read a few words, but honestly, I'd suggest leavin it be if he's on track. He ay enjoy being read to, and that won't last much longer, so you enjoy it too. He'll be reading by himself soon enough. Reading every other page might be fun to try, but if he resists, don't risk dampening his pleasure in reading by insisting that he does it with you or you don't do it at all.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:41 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• when u read have him to read along with you. Then ask him to re read what you both had read together
    pye1980

Answer by pye1980 at 5:59 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• #1 thing I would suggest is making sure that HE is the one picking out the books. Even if it's a comic book or a picture book. Let him be creative and make up a story to go with the pictures, then read the real story with him and discuss the differences.
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 8:45 PM on Apr. 25, 2013