For those of you who know gay parents ...

Please understand that I'm not trying to be judgmental in any way; I'm asking because I really have an honest question and want to know the answer. For those of you who know homosexual parents, male or female, what do their children call them?

I'm asking because my brother and his partner have had custody of a little boy for the last three years. His biological parents are still involved in his life to some extent, so that may complicate things as far as what he calls each of his parental figures. My brother and I are estranged, so we don't speak andI don't see the little boy often, but he and my daughter go to different classes in the same preschool. Several times, when I've been there with my aunt or a friend to drop my daughter off at pre-K, I've passed by the classroom for the younger kids and heard the little boy greeting or saying goodbye to my brother or his partner. The boy always calls the partner "Dad" and my brother "Mama." I've started to wonder if this is typical, and if it will confuse the poor kid as he gets older, especially if he introduces "Mama" to other kids.

Wouldn't it be better to call one "Dad" and one "Pop" or "Daddy" or "Papa" or something?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:06 PM on Apr. 25, 2013 in General Parenting

• My cousin and her partner have a toddler, the little one calls my cousin MaMa and the partner (who is the bio mom) Mommy.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:13 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• the guys i know with a son have him calling the bio dad, dad and his partner by his 1st name.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 5:33 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Their mom is ''Mom"... the mom's partner is called by her first name.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 5:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• My friends kids call one Dad, and the other Uncle Jim, now this is one biological child, and they live with the partner.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 5:11 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• In all the gay (male and female) couples I know the children were always the biological children of one of the partners and called the parent's partner by their first name only.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:17 AM on Apr. 26, 2013