So how old do you all think a kid should be before you let them ride a bike to a park a half mile or so from your house with a friend only???

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2013 in General Parenting

• My 12 and 9 yr olds get to go around our "long block" which is about a mile. But this is only in the last few months, and because there's not a ton of traffic when I let them go, it's closed off from any really major roads, and I know how long it should take them to go around so I could go look for them if they took too long (which they did once, and believe me, they will tell you that they won't make THAT mistake again! lol).

I think it depends a lot on your kids, though. I wouldn't let my 9 yr old do it by himself, I only let him go with his brother because I know my older son will keep an eye on him. But I know the kids down the street (between 7-9 yrs old) do get to go around all they want, all alone, and take their time doing it without their parents seeming to worry a bit. It's what you're comfortable with and what you think your kids can handle.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:46 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• It would really depend on the area and traffic on the road.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• I suppose it depends on the area. My kids are 7 and 10 and I won't let them.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:21 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Has to be looked at on the individual bases I think.

Gosh I don't know I could allow it until my son was like 10 or something. Maybe I am crazy.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 5:21 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• kinda depends- how much you trust your kid/ how much you trust the other kid...is the park IN the nieghborhood or off a main road...
    not before 10 and most likely not before 13-14 for me-but like I said, there are a few things about this to consider
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• 14-15? My kids are very young though. I was riding bikes all over creation when I was 8 but the world is very different today.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• 12

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 25, 2013