Why do OBGYNs not like to tie the tubes under a certain age?

I had my second kid at 23 I only want the two I have. The doctors didn't want to tie my tubes after I gave birth. It was frustrating. I think my husband will just go get snipped.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on Apr. 25, 2013 in Pregnancy

• They always think that young people will change their minds. My husband had a vasectomy at 26.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:59 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Because a lot of times we think we know what we want when we are young only to change our minds later. That's a pretty complicated thing to try to reverse. Better to find a workable form of birth control and wait until an ethical Dr. will do it for you.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Probably because they see too many women who change their minds later on... it's a fairly permanent decision and they like to give you time to fully decide that's what you want. Baby fever can get pretty strong in some women around 27 or so.... The docs just don't want to take that option from you when there are effective means of birth control that aren't permanent.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• They're just being patronizing. When do men ever get turned down for vasectomies?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Circumstances change. Women may find themselves with new partners and want kids later, or they may just change their minds, and some doctors don't like to tie the tubes in young women right after they give birth because at that moment, the whole thing has seemed traumatic and many say they never want to do it again but the trauma soon fades.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• I'm 26 now going on 27. Still don't want anymore kiddos
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Men do get turned down before 25. The human brain does not finish developing until age 25, allowing for you to finish "growing up" and a few years to make a final decision, for most people it's 30 before they are sure, and even then still some change their mind.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:16 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• I was not quite 26 when my daughter was born. Tying my tubes was something my doctor and I discussed. She was willing if it was what I wanted. I chose not to, at that time. I was pretty adamant that 2 was enough for me, but something made me hesitate and want to hold off.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• I have a friend who never ever ever wanted kids.... until she turned 38! But by then she was divorced, has a super stressful job, older parents who she is caring for, and now she regrets not having children. In fact she has been VERY depressed about it lately, thinking she has missed her chance. Her 40th Birthday is this week.
    I have another friend who always battled with drugs and alcohol, she begged to have her tubes tied in her 20's, no doctor would do it. By 30 She ended up having a full hysterectomy, and she too kind of wishes she would have had kids. She said "It's something I never thought I wanted, until I was told I COULDN'T have any."
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 6:42 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• My OB told me he had had too many young women come back to him wanting it reversed and he wasn't able to help them. I was 27 when I had my 3rd and positive I was done but decided to wait.
    Glad I did, I divorced, remarried a man with no kids and have 2 more kids. My life would not be complete without them!

Answer by missanc at 6:44 PM on Apr. 25, 2013