Can I be penalized???

I just got an email from my ex husband, who lives 14 hours away (thank God), telling me that he has the our boys covered through Blue Cross Blue Shield and of course he never discussed this with me.
The problem I have is that I have the boys covered through the state that I live in (not the same state he lives in) and I'm not sure if this can come back and bite me in the ass.

Can a child have dual coverage (medicaid & major insurance)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes a child can have dual coverage, next time they go to the clinic/pediatrician etc the form you fill out will ask if your child is covered under any other insurance an let them know.

Now I do not know if this will affect things like Medicaid.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:19 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Back when I was first starting out I was a young mom. I used medicad and my DH then boyfriend ;) had blue cross. Our son had double coverage. Basically the doctors office billed blue cross first, and went to medicade for the balance. Leaving me with a zero balance.

That was 7 years ago.
    Anonymous

• Yes, they can. The state will just become additional supplemental insurance, covering what Blue Cross won't cover. But, you'll need a card from your ex before you could use his insurance anyway.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:21 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• You have to call the Medicade office, and update the information with them. It'll save you from your stress and worrying. It'll cover your butt with them.

Piece of mind can be priceless.
    Anonymous

• Yes. My kids have Aetna and then my oldest has Medicaid. Medicaid is the secondary insurance and will pick up any copays from the primary insurance.
    Just FYI - my state (NC) pays for our Aetna insurance premium since we "save" them money be not putting all my sons healthcare costs through Medicaid. Most states have a similar program.

Answer by missanc at 6:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Talk to the county department of human services. A person usually cannot have dual coverage with Medicaid. It's most often the private insurance company--in this case Blue Cross--that will deny the coverage first, though.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:41 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• you're fine
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 7:06 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• I suppose it may differ by state, but my experience as a medical biller is that you can have dual coverage with Medicaid. BCBS will be primary, and Medicaid will cover allowed charges that the primary doesn't (i.e. deductibles, coinsurance).

However, it is a good idea to check with Medicaid and let them know he has other coverage through his dad.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:26 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Thank you ladies, for the responses!  I called Medicaid this morning and explained the situation and as some of you stated, they said that having dual coverage, is fine, that Medicaid will just be the secondary.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:38 AM on Apr. 26, 2013