Adult son on probation

my son just turned 18, but is on Juvenile probation because of something he did last year. He has to be in my custody until October this year. I am slowly beginning to force him into adulthood, but it is difficult when he has no driver's license, no job, and a 10pm curfew. Any advise would be cool.

shareleann

Asked by shareleann at 6:33 PM on Apr. 25, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

• I work with people who are on probation, parole, etc. My continual advice to them is: Be Productive!! If you can't find a job, you can do something to get you up, get you moving, make you responsible, etc. I am the director of a homeless shelter, and I make things up for them to do just so they have something!! I will give one person the job of washing all the windows, or doing all the house laundry, or mowing the grass, etc. It helps them a lot. So do the same with your son. You dont have to be employed to be productive. He can have regular chores for you or other family, neighbors, etc. If someone is planning a project over the summer ie: painting their house, landscaping their yard, building fence, etc he can work at that. Get creative and find him things to do, and make him responsible for it.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Could he get a part-time job or one over the summer that won't interfere with his curfew? I hope you are expecting him to help out around the house as well.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• The probation officer should have some information on resources in the area for job training, education, etc.
    If you are in an area with public transportation can he use that or can you change your schedule to drive him to interviews, than back and forth to work once he does get something?

Most of the time when someone makes a mistake they will continue to make mistakes unless everyone who can get involved to help this person does something too.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Virginiamama - I agree - with everything you said! We are in process of moving to another state and he WILL get a job there! No reason why he can't. He hasn't had much support from anyone but me, but now everyone thinks that I coddled him (maybe, who knows). Hopefully the people that have helped him have helped make him realize that he does NOT want to get in to trouble again!
    shareleann

Comment by shareleann (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Apr. 25, 2013