When did you "scissor train" your child?

When we go to craft day at the library I am amazed at the parents that let their 2-4 yr olds go to town with the scissors. I have a bit of an OCD fear of scissors and sharp things and am reluctant to let my dd play with scissors (and everytime my older dd got a hold of scissors att his age she cut her hair). I know that I have to teach her eventually, but.......
So when did you start?

shareleann

Asked by shareleann at 7:12 PM on Apr. 25, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Somewhere between 2 and 3, with kids' scissors.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:15 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• 4

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Honestly, I didn't. I guess I should have. When she went to preschool, she was declared "behind" in her ability to use scissors, and I said jeez! I've spent three and a half years keeping scissors out of her hands.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:38 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Depends on the kids skill with their hands. Hand, eye coordination.  I say 3 or 4.

Answer by louise2 at 8:29 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Mine started using safety scissors at preschool at 2. At 3 they were practicing cutting along lines and now at 4 he's pretty good at it.

Answer by missanc at 9:32 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• 2 I think, as soon as he could handle them. My grandmother who works at a school as a teacher aide says he(5) is better then most of her 2nd graders at cutting.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• DD learned at preschool at three. I let her use kid scissors under supervision at home, they are stored out of reach.
    She had a minor hair cutting incident at home. I was right there, but got distracted in the kitchen for a second. Anyway, she did one tiny test snip and I reminded her that the hairdresser was the only one allowed to cut hair and didn't let her use them for a while. :) I pull her long hair back before scissors use now and she hasn't had a problem since.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 1:47 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• At 18 months old. I understand your OCD but in an effort to protect your child you are actually robbing hi/her of a great tool to build fine motor skills which is a crucial cornerstone for so many other things. There are safety scissors that you can start with that are about as sharp to the touch as a butter knife and are set up so there are no sharp points and they cannot open all the way. Remember to teach the rules of how to hold them and how to walk with them and to never put them on the floor or chair and so on to teach good skills from day one.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 1:49 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• She was young. Before two possibly. She had been in daycare and she use to cut there all the time and I had safety scissors. Never had to train her because she was just to it from school she loves cutting papers, coupons ect. Get some safety scissors. It will be fine.
    libramoon007

Answer by libramoon007 at 7:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2013